
Let me just give you an idea as to what kind of class I taught today at our local gym. I arrived at the appointed time; 9:30am to teach a cycling class. As I walked in, I saw one woman already sitting down and pedaling. My heart dropped, knowing that she and I were going to be the ONLY ones attending today.
I have had few in attendance lately, but one on one classes have got to be the worst. Do the instructors a favor next time it is just you and her...leave the class! I don't like the "personal trainer" type classes where it is just me and the other poor member.
"Carmen" was listening to her Ipod so loudly that I could actually hear the songs from across the room. I asked her if she would like to switch bikes to sit up closer to me so I could instruct her on the class and have her participate a bit more. She declined my offer and said she would be just fine where she was at. Too bad she was literally at the FURTHEST corner in the room, a good 25 feet away from me...and she was not even facing me! ha! I asked how she would be able to keep up with me, and she said she would just, "watch me."
So, this is how the class went. I pedaled along all ALONE at the far end of the room, while Carmen was at the other end in her own world of Ipod music and her OWN cycling moves! It got to a point where I actually TURNED OFF my own music just to listen to hers b/c it was s
o loud.
One of the front desk people came by to give a tour to a potential member and they gave the an odd look as the peeped inside the room, only to see me all alone...no music...and doing my own moves by myself b/c my girl Carmen was be-bopping by herself and obviously not listening to a word I was saying.
I looked over to Carmen towards the end to tell her we would be sprinting and then cooling down, did she even listen to me or follow my directions? Of course not. I felt pretty foolish to say the least. I had to keep reminding myself that I was a good instructor, that I have had FULL classes before with lots of people enjoying my class...that this whole experience was just another memory to soon laugh about.
Despite the awkward silence, no interaction, no members and boring conversation...I did sweat.
So, this is how the class went. I pedaled along all ALONE at the far end of the room, while Carmen was at the other end in her own world of Ipod music and her OWN cycling moves! It got to a point where I actually TURNED OFF my own music just to listen to hers b/c it was s
o loud.One of the front desk people came by to give a tour to a potential member and they gave the an odd look as the peeped inside the room, only to see me all alone...no music...and doing my own moves by myself b/c my girl Carmen was be-bopping by herself and obviously not listening to a word I was saying.
I looked over to Carmen towards the end to tell her we would be sprinting and then cooling down, did she even listen to me or follow my directions? Of course not. I felt pretty foolish to say the least. I had to keep reminding myself that I was a good instructor, that I have had FULL classes before with lots of people enjoying my class...that this whole experience was just another memory to soon laugh about.
Despite the awkward silence, no interaction, no members and boring conversation...I did sweat.
8 comments:
can you come teach at my YMCA? i'd go to your class.
You are my hero for continuing to peddle with no one there to force you!! Where can I find some motivation to exercise??
If you'd move back here, I would come to your class! ;) I need a heaping dose of motivation, too!
Having actually attended one of your cycling classes, I have to say that I think that your personality is just perfect to be a teacher. You are so enthusiastic and encouraging and I love the music you picked. I am sorry that this woman made you feel so down about the whole thing. I can't believe she even came. I wonder why she even wanted to be there with an instructor? Doesn't it make you wish you could turn the tables and go to where she works and ignore everything she asks you to do?
Wow it's been a long time!!!10 years makes me feel so old. i'm living in Des moines right now while my hubby is in med. school(3rd year) We only have one kid right now. hopefuly i will be brave enough to try it again, or i'm hoping someone will just drop a baby at my door step.
You two little boys are so cute. they look like alot of fun. Too bad we don't all live closer it would be fun for all the kids to play. I would go to your spin class however i might pass out by the end;)
girl - i am so proud of you! You go!
Thanks to you and all your hard work, that still to this day I work out 4-5 days a week and love it! I did think of you on thurday when I took a cycle class, witch I don't get to often, and thought how much better you were as an instructor! I loved coming to your 5am classes while I was 7,8,& 9 months preganet! miss ya tons!
You don't know me, but if I lived in your town, I'd come to your class and listen to every word you said! Way to endure to the end. :)
Post a Comment