
I am the Young Women Girls Camp Director this year for my church calling. It is on Monday! Yikes~
I haven't been to camp since I was like 16, back in the day when YCL's didn't even exist (Youth camp leader). I have fond memories of "Big Bootie," bawling at the fire devotionals at night, eating dutch oven food, reading an emotional letter my mom would always send, and of course setting up tents.
We are sleeping in bunk houses though with mattresses! Score!
So...it's been a crazy last few months trying to get things organized. One of my biggest challenges was just trying to remember the girls' names (we have about 20 that are going, not including the leaders). I am fairly new to the ward, and the second week we were there, I was called to camp.
This has been a good calling though, pretty low key....this is what I have done thus far:
~Organized a ward garage sale as a fundraiser
~Delegated as many things as possible! (Chore charts, food menus, shopping, etc)
~Made WAY TOO MANY phone calls to remind the girls of meetings and activities
~Had a fun time shopping at Target for secret sister things (I bought them for the entire ward)...hopefully they enjoy their cheap lip glosses and chewing gum!
~ Stressed out!

We are having one last meeting tomorrow at church, and then we are off. One week full of skits, braided hair, mess kits, sleeping bags, bug spray, scripture study, flag ceremonies, devotionals, cooking, hiking and anything else I can think of to make sure these girls have fun!
I am excited to do this...especially b/c who knows when I would be able to do it again. We all know that boys camp is completely different than girls camp. And unless I become a Den Mother, this might be it for me.
So, wish me luck! May I return back to my modern conveniences with a greater appreciation and hopefully Jared won't go too insane watching the boys all week!
4 comments:
Have fun and be safe! I know everything will turn out well and the girls will have a fabulous time. Can't wait to read the blog with all the gory, teenaged-drama-mixed-with-bug-spray details!
I sure hope you are having fun...I guess there is a few different kinds of camping right? My style or yours...you get cabins what kind of girls camp are you?? I hope that snips don't get you!! I want to hear all the details for sure!! love ya
I am so jealous that you got too go to girls camp. That is one of the callings that I would love to have and have not had the opportunity to hold. Have fun with the girls for me. We updated our blog check out the kids pics.
okay, so like SO MANY of my good friends are camp directors this year...what's my deal? Oh yeah, still nursing I guess. I love camp too! Hopefully next year! :)
Post a Comment