Thursday, July 3, 2008

My day full of YUCK

This blog is dedicated to any woman who ever has, ever will or is currently experiencing, "morning sickness." That phrase does not do justice to what most of us experience, b/c it is simply not just in the morning...but for me, it is an all day thing. Readers beware: if you are feeling a little sick, maybe you should skip this blog to avoid running to the toilet.

A few phrases for you: sea sick, food poisoning, stomach flu, car sick....You know where your stomach is queasy, so you run to the bathroom to see if anything will come out. Your mouth starts to sweat, you pull your hair behind your ears to avoid splattering, you kneel down to your porcelain friend, you close your eyes tight...and NOTHING comes out....just a bunch of spit. Most of the time, I just WANT to throw up, but I can't get the nasties out of me.


Just typing this is making me dry heave...I best keep this short. But, I do want to document this for my own future benefit so I can always remember what this feels like!


Another scenario that is very hard for me: Grocery stores. The smells inside of meats, people, frozen goods and snacks is hard to swallow. I run in with my little list, keep my eyes to the floor to avoid eye contact with ANY food item, grab the products, run to the aisle and keep my mouth covered with my hand while I try and BREATHE deep breaths the entire time. Dry heave after dry heave, my stomach just won't settle down. Get me out of there!


Going to church: Now the I have the nose of a blood hound (why is that??? Anyone have a good answer??), I can smell any perfume, after shave, BO, deoderante, BAD BREATH (that is by far the worst, especially when people are singing the hymns), or dirty diapers a few rows back.


Driving: I usually don't mind looking at billboards or restaurants....Now, I keep my eyes shut. I can't handle right now especially the fast food signs (Wendy's and McD's are especially revolting). Thinking of those places, the grease, the dirty public toilets (in case I have to run in there)....sidenote...I just threw up in my hand...ugh...I better stop writing this NOW...


One last thoughts: a typical day for me these last several weeks...and for sure more to come. If I don't shove something in my mouth by 6am (usually a cracker with water), the aches and pains come. I HAVE to constantly put food in my stomach every hour or so or the intense stab of pain comes back....I call it, "Feed the fetus" time. (I know it's just an embryo, but it ryhmes so well!). I am okay throughout the early morning, but by mid day...I am not doing well. All food has lost desirability...which is annoying b/c I am NOT craving anything...so everything is gross. I try to be creative with my choices, but it leads me nowhere....I won't write the food choices down or else I will have to run to the bathroom again.


I rotate throughout the day, when possible, to eat, lay the belly down, run to the bathroom to TRY and relieve myself, be with the family, work, eat again, etc. By nighttime I am DONE. These last few days b/c Jared is around, after moaning and groaning before dinner even comes (which is always so gross for me whatever it is), I just lay in bed in the dark until I feel better to get up, brush teeth and go back to bed.


Yuck...I sure hope this ends soon b/c I am ready to feel excited to be pregnant! Right now, I am just in no mood to talk about what sex we might be having, the due date, WHY I am wearing maternity clothing already (are you expecting twins or just a big baby?), and if it's normal for me to be this sick....no more!

9 comments:

Posey Cowart said...

oh my gosh.. I am so sorry! I remember that and I seriously just wanted to DIE! Literally! But just think of the cute little outcome you will get when all this is said and done! Congrats on everything! You guys seem to be doing great! (busy, but great)

Julie said...

*passes Adrienne the ginger tea*

I can especially relate to the feeling of wanting to barf and needing to barg but not being able to do anything but look at the toilet and feel like dying would be a much more pleasant alternative.

The things we do to get these babies here! I think that our reward in heaven might be directly related to how difficult our pregnancies are... or at least I hope it is!

Hang in there! And talk to a doctor soon if it doesn't get better.

Unknown said...

Poor girl! I know just how you feel! Brushing my teeth is what sets it off for me. Having it in my mouth is just noooo good!

I eat CONSTANTLY to keep my stomach full and feeling decent. But I've lost weight since my last appointment. Guess that's a good thing right now???

Hope it's over for you soon!!!

Brooke said...

Wow - you are bringing me back to a year ago. Morning sickness is the WORST - I feel so bad for you!! I hope you get feeling better soon!! I agree with everything you wrote - esp raw meat in the grocery store grossing you out. YUCK!

Toodles said...

Oh, morning sickness is hard, but you captured it so well in your post! I just can't believe you spent 2 weeks in Chicago at training classes feeling sick... urgh!! You are a champ!

I'm starting to get big enough where I'm ready to get this baby out into the world, but I still have a good 3 months to go!

Hang in there!

Allison said...

Sorry you're so yucky! It will pass (hopefully sooner than later!) It's fun to see your new "hometown" in Gaithersburg... that is such a beautiful part of the world. Thad served in DC South and we spent our honeymoon there and around the East Coast!

Jana said...

Oh Adrienne- I couldn't even finish reading your post. I'm barely surviving these days- thank goodness for understanding husbands who don't mind eating leftovers- Tyler even does the meal planning for me (fast and simple meals) so I don't have to cook as much, and so he still gets halfway decent food! haha All my culinary skills have gone down the toilet. I can't wait for the first trimester to be OVER!!!!! I can totally relate! Hopefully being busy with the new job and house and everything will help distract you!!!
Hope to catch you online soon!

Mike and Kelli said...

Yuck! Your post brought back so many unpleasant memories for me. I'm so sad for you. And I would say that fast Sunday trumps all other triggers that would make me vomit. Seriously, people not eating for several hours and then confidently spewing lots of "h" sounds in your face is just too much to handle. Also, the diaper/stale cracker smell in the nursery ranks right up there. I recommend carrying Altoids at all times. Not only does peppermint settle a queasy stomach, they also come in handy on fast Sundays when you have to smile politely and try not to gag in someone's face. Good luck! I'm thinking of you!
Love, Hna Kelli
PS-Yay, I can finally post comments!

Mama Apes... said...

Oh girl..I feel for you! Well I hope it all passes soon and that all your changes with life will soon calm down for you all! Miss ya and know that i love ya to pieces!!