Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A typical work day


When I am back to being a full time homemaker, remind me of days like TODAY when I feel bored, uneducated, frustrated, impatient or anxious about being home with my kids all day.

I pulled in a 14 hour day, on my pregnant feet, didn't have time to even eat dinner (what the heck!), and so here I am at 10pm at night...finally getting some nourishment (is pizza healthy?) and venting my feelings.

It's hard to work so hard when you get paid by salary...after all, who really cares if you stay past your allotted hour when it all comes back in the same check? I voluntarily want to give myself a day off next week to make up for this one!

Being the "owner" of a business sure can be tough. I am dealing with irate members on a daily basis. Fortunately, I don't take many of their problems on a personal note...but, it would be easy to feel so overwhelmed by their rude remarks, cussing words, and angry voices.

It does NO ONE any good to be yelled at...and so whenever I hear, "let me talk to the owner," I always embrace myself for the worst. Today was by far the worst one I have had yet, to date. Granted, I understand why the member was upset with the situation...but, WHY DO YOU HAVE TO YELL TO RESOLVE YOUR PROBLEM??? Cussing takes you nowhere! It just causes you embarrassment later down the road when the situation is resolved and YOU look like a jerk. I find that I am so flustered by all their hashing that I can't even spit out remarks that can calm them down...tonight I put the guy on hold twice to calm him down...

No matter what unruly situation happens to me in my lifetime, I promise to never blow my lid with a poor customer service rep on the other phone line. Sometimes there are other things that off set the member to be so upset, but that still doesn't justify treating a person like that. Maybe they just got in a fight with their kids, maybe they got in a car accident that afternoon, maybe they have a zit on their face....whatever it may be...people ought to learn to cool down.

I am learning a lot in this managerial position. How to delegate and train my own employees. I think some things are so "obvious" to my employees, for example....how to talk to someone when they are upset about being transferred from one extension to another (on the phone). Things that I might say naturally to make that person feel better, "I will personally make sure this is taken care of tonight" vs. "they are out of town...do you want to leave another message" really does require training for some people! Where is the natural customer service?

I also am in charge of hiring and firing people. I always thought interviews were such a luxury to give...vs. participate in as a prospective employee. I do admit that I would rather be on the other end (the employer), but it sure is hard finding "qualified" people. We are SO UNDER staffed right now that I am almost desperate to hire anyone, and settle for their mediocre levels of standards. I must hold tight though to what I WANT b/c the last two people I have hired have been total disasters! One of them had such bad Body Odor that I had to let her go for grooming issues! How embarrassing is that to address with someone....and uncomfortable. It is fun feeling like I have an important position, that I have big decisions to make that affect people everyday, and that (hopefully) there is a level of respect for me that I have not had before. In addition to that responsibility comes a huge level of accountability.

Another thing....my employees ask for their dinner break b/c they have been working long hours. Of course they are granted one, and since we are short staffed, it's hard to get coverage. But, who ever worries about MY dinner break? Huh? Right...the owner just is expected to give above and beyond expectations to "set the standard" for the rest of the staff. Well...this mama definitely should've taken a dinner break tonight.

I am now off to get into my PJ's, to give kisses to my boys whom I miss and love, to hopefully read some scriptures, and say a quick prayer.

Until more adventures at DirectBuy of Washington North...

7 comments:

Julie said...

Poor pregnant momma. I am so sorry you had such a long day. It sounds like you handled it all with grace and patience. I hope you slept well and get some time off soon.

xoxo

Arianne Pearce said...

oh my! that is crap. I will remember that next time I want to be mean. Good thing it's you- you handle that all so well. I sure miss you!!

Mama Apes... said...

So sorry to hear that your day was horriable...sounds like you can handle it all so well. I'm so glade your getting something out of those long two week meetings!! LOL! Miss you too!

Audrey said...

I'm sorry you had such a frustrating experience. I agree, it never helps to yell. I really and truly subscribe to the motto: You can gather more flies with honey than with vinegar.
I always try to explain calmly why I'm upset and explain to the person that I definitely don't hold them responsible, but I need their help.
My grandparents have always owned their own business and it's definitely not glamorous. You get paid last, fed last, your cars are repaired last and they could hardly ever leave because of exactly what you said--no employees to trust.
Doesn't it feel better to get it all out though?

KA said...

Ouch! I think you need a foot rub. I wish that I was there to come to your aide.

elshmobelsh said...

Adrianne, I'm so sorry work is so hard. I'm sure it's a big mess that you got thrown into in the first place and in today's with work ethic the way it is trying to find new employees must be a nightmare. Hopefully things will settle down and get better. If you ever need to vent because you've been yelled at feel free to call. I've worked customer service and been an assistant manager of a small business so I hear ya!


I brought Jared's glasses to church today, but didn't see you. We'll have to get together this week and I'll get them to you. Hopefully he hasn't gone out and bought new ones in the mean time.

Brooke said...

Wow, this makes me tired just reading what you have to deal with!! You are so patient - I am impressed :o)