Saturday, December 27, 2008

A Chik-Fil-A Christmas


Living in Maryland is very non-traditional for Jared and I. Not only are we both full time working parents, but this is our first season of COLD...no flip flops this year for Christmas time. It's all about freezing rain, beanies and warming up our car before we go anywhere.

Well, this Christmas was VERY non-traditional. We unfortunately don't have family nearby, and because we work so much, we have not been able to establish any super close "friend" ties with anyone. So...that leaves just me, Jared, Wesley, Austin and Wrangler to celebrate the holidays.

With it being so darn cold outside, our options are limited. The boys tried going for a ride on their quad, but after the wind burned their eyes red and they had frosty fingertips, the boys opted to go back home. No parks. No playgrounds. Just cold.

On Christmas Eve, we were all going stir crazy at being home for so long. So, we broke out into the cold and headed off to.....Chik-Fil-A. Fun times for the Wilson Family! Between our chicken nuggets, and the indoor playground, it was just plain ol' funny for Jared and I. We kept thinking, "What are we doing here!" But, the boys were able to get some energy out. Even Jared climbed up through the slide to play tag. We weren't the only weirdos around though, a few random stragglers came in for some food, so I didn't feel completely silly.

Christmas day didn't get much more exciting. This was our first year where Wesley actually knew about Santa and how this whole thing worked. We left the Oreo's out for Santa, we talked about how he would come through the chimney, etc. First thing he did in the morning, was check under the tree. He then came running back to our bedroom where he said, "Santa took out all of the presents and put them under the tree!" He was thrilled! It was a classic moment for any parent. Austin is still asking me, "Where are all of the presents?" He doesn't get it that they already opened them, and he's been playing with them...he keeps looking for the wrapped gifts.

So, this year, on Christmas day, we were very quiet and low key. I took down all of our decor Christmas day. No need to prolong the holiday this year, Chik-Fil-A was enough for me. We are hoping that next year we will have a bit more interaction with people and not feel so alone.

I sure am glad to have Jared around to laugh with me! (Happy Birthday honey! Tonight we are going to a murder myster dinner/show. We are excited to check out the night life here in MD!)

8 comments:

Toodles said...

Sounds like your little family is already making some good memories out there in Maryland. The Chik-Fil-A will be something you'll talk about for a long time.

I can't believe you got your Christmas decor down so fast... especially being so pregnant. Good job!! I need to take my Christmas decor down today and I'm slightly dreading it... o'well.

Unknown said...

Ha. I love Chick-fil-A...if we had one nearby, I might go for Christmas Eve too!! You should make it a new tradition!

Hopefully next year is better for you!!

elshmobelsh said...

K Adrienne, I'm going to be totally honest here. I feel really bad that you don't feel like we are close enough friends that you could have called when you were having such a depressing Christmas. You were totally welcome to come with us to drop off the gifts in DC and we would have been so fine with you coming to bum around with us on Christmas day. We were just being lazy watching movies on our new "big screen." ;o) So next time... YOU'D BETTER CALL! I hate to know you had a bummer holiday!

Lauren said...

What a funny scenario, but I bet those kids loved the play land. I am anxiously awaiting your big news this coming month. Also, I hope that dinner theatre was fun!

Clark Family said...

Hey girl, we miss you in El Paso. I was thinking how last year we had you over for christmas dinner. This year we had the missionaries over so we wouldn't be alone and had a quiet christmas morning. You look beautiful and I totally understand how you get sick of everyone commenting on your belly! Sounds like you are almost at the finish line. Congrats!
love, Kelli

Jana said...

Well, at least you know there is an end in sight. Maybe next year you will able to wear those flip flops and be closer to family. But I love chick fil a so I think that sounds pretty yummy! :) You guys are still coming right?

Anonymous said...

Sorry that you were all alone! We wish that we could visit you! Thad always looks longingly at your pics of DC and wants to visit his mission! Two more weeks or so on your pregnancy!!! Keep us posted!! :) Merry Christmas!

Adrianne said...

Did you forget about the good ol' movie theater??? I thought that's where all families spent christmas day?!?!?