Wednesday, September 30, 2009

School Snob

I went to Wesley's school for lunch yesterday. Just wanted to write down some thoughts about kindergarten in general. I am a school snob.

I will admit it: I want my son to always look cute with his hair done, shirt tucked in, stylish clothes, a healthy lunch, top of his class (which won't happen for a while until we can get his capital and lower case letters figured out), and I want him to have a lot of friends. Who doesn't?

Now that I am a "parent" and not a "teacher" at school, I find that I am really extra sensitive to what I require and expect from my child. I know that by doing homework earlier throughout the week, then we don't have to cram in a full hour session the night before it is due. I worry that I may become one of the overly protective classroom moms that want to be too involved. I taught Jr. High, so by that point, you are begging for parents to be involved. In Kinder, it is a whole other story as you are saturated with mom's who want to volunteer. So, I have been taking a step back with the whole volunteer thing b/c I don't want to step on the teachers toes and be aggressive when perhaps she doesn't want any help. I have my fingerprint clearance card, I have submitted to become a substitute teacher when needed, so now I just need to go in and do it.

So, I showed up at 10:30am for the lunch hour. Wesley had the biggest smile on his face when I walked in the room. When will that stop? I hope never! We went to the cafeteria and I loved how Wesley just wanted to sit close to me, let me caress his little shoulders and kiss him on the forehead. I love spending one on one time with each of my kids. He was so excited to see me there and introduced me to his "friends." It warmed my heart to see that he is socializing with his peers and that they can have conversations. Although, when they went out to the playground, Wesley was all alone. I wanted to take his hand and encourage him to go find a friend...I guess with more time he will get more comfortable. The girls were all so talkative, the boys were rambunctious. One poor girl cried the ENTIRE lunch hour for her mama. So sad.

You wonder why America youth are obese? Check out those school lunches!I always pack Wesley a cold lunch, which I enjoy doing and I think he eats more healthy. I wonder when he will start to think that cold lunches are not "cool" and that he will want a lot of what I consider "junk food" for his lunchbox. For example; lunchables (especially the pizza or nacho ones), Dora juice boxes, or the sliced white bread for a PB & J certainly does not have a lot of nutrients, but a whole lot of empty calories. Wesley has already asked me to stop giving him homemade bread! NO way! I haven't come up with a good reason for him besides that it is healthier for him. He has come home the last few days NOT eating his sandwich.

So, today, I only gave him a sandwich to eat. That will at least guarantee that he will eat it, right? I need to be realistic and let him have treats a few times a week, or even a hot lunch, but I don't want it to be something that will replace our healthy lifestyle of eating at home. He happily will eat spinach, broccoli, green beans, asparagus, carrots, and salads. That would be too much to put into his lunchbox though.

I wonder how much longer it will be when my sweet boy is asking me to not come to school with him b/c he is too cool? I also went on a fieldtrip to the AZ Science Museum with him and it was great fun. I loved watching him learn, run around and be a kid. I am grateful that my dad was around to watch Austin and Isaac so I could be with him. Poor dad was so frazzled when I got back! Isaac is not used to not having mama around when he wakes up for his nap and wants a snack. He did a great job, but the cold formula he gave him was a bit too much.

Isaac also is at 8 months old. This last month he went from one tooth, to two teeth, from arching his back, to up on all fours, to rocking with his knees, a few army crawls, and now he knows how to do the "worm." He is adorable at 21lbs. Sure is cute to see Wesley and Austin encourage him to crawl and imitate him on the floor. They do a great job at entertaining him. He also went for his first 4-wheeler ride with papa. I like to keep him stripped down to a diaper just so I can kiss and squeeze his big belly.



4 comments:

elshmobelsh said...

A- I am so sorry you are struggling right now. I sure hope this ends soon for you. Honestly you have such a good attitude about it and maybe there is something through all this that will help you be stronger and a better person. I know comforting words are- not much ease to the empty aching pain in your chest.

You are so amazing though. Look at you being such an amazing mom!! I can't believe you've already been on a field trip. I can't get any word at all on things I can do to help Jaden's class, even as a mom on the room parent team. I guess thats because a K huh? Are you seriously baking bread on top of everything else? You are amazing woman!

Well- I love you. Here's a big hug from Houston!

Amy said...

I feel the same way about school lunches (or snacks). Gwen is doing half-day Kindergarten so all we send them with is a snack. One day I went there to volunteer and I saw kids with COOKIES...and BROWNIES...HELLO??? They eat their snack at 9:45 in the morning! What about grapes, string cheese, heck even goldfish crackers for goodness sakes!

So yes, it's amazing! My kids will get homemade bread forever too! Stick to it...I'm always reminding my kids of what is healthy and what is not! And the benefits of eating healthy. The best thing we can give our kids is health (besides love...haha)! Some parents don't understand that they have the control over that.

Sad. Loved your post though...it reminded me of...ME!

Jana said...

Is he in all day kindergarden????? That would be a hard adjustment and it seems like you are doing a great job. Going from having Jackson all day, every day, all to myself and then to every day, gone for the morning was hard. But it is so fun watching them grow. And a little bit of sliced bread won't kill him!!! :) Stop out doing the rest of us!!! :)

Boley Boys said...

I'm so happy Wes is loving his mom coming to school with him. We both know those days are numbered. Continue to eat them up! (like I have to tell you that)