I was a substitute today for the high school. I wore my high heel wedges so that I could have a bit more authority and be taller!
A few thoughts:
Why is it that some of the students have good handwriting, spelling skills, vocabulary, and an inner desire to excel in their schoolwork...while others just are lazy, don't have pride in their work and are just sloppy?
I want my boys to be respectful to all adults and not become the "class clowns" at school. I want them to listen to instructions, do their classwork and be on task. I see such a vast difference with some boys who would turn in their work with an effort, and others that I had to constantly remind them to work and to stop talking. I want my boys to have a love for education and learning, just like Jared and I do. (Disclaimer: I should say that we both had to grow into our love of learning, it definitely wasn't there as much in High School, but we did make it to college and now we both love teaching).
I check in Wesley's backpack everyday with his homework and assignments. I look at his handwriting and the things he needs to correct. As time goes on, I know that I will probably begin to slack off and not be as involved. I want to always make an effort to see my boys' work, tests and be aware of the things they need to learn! As they are older, especially in high school, I bet I will just "assume" that things are going well. NO! Remind myself in 10 years to keep on checking in on Wesley's homework, assignments, handwriting and projects. Be involved!
All the students I pulled aside and worked with one on one exceeded in the work. They could find their own mistakes and tell me how to re-spell the words. All it takes is a bit of effort and awareness.
Reading! If you like to read, or can read fluently, you will automatically be a great speller and have a higher vocabulary. How do I instill that in my boys? I obviously love books, but I am not so good at science/history/math. So, despite my own insecurities with those areas, I also want my boys to be comfortable.
I am grateful for a flexible job. Isaac had a small emergency where I had to take him into the Dr. b/c he was having a hard time breathing. After a breathing treatment and a steroid shot, he is doing much better. It's hard to see your sweet baby struggling to catch his breath. I do love his double chin and playing peek a boo with him in my rear view mirror.
I miss spending the days with my boys. I know it is just a few more months, but I miss watching Isaac crawl around and slobber on his hands. I even miss poopy diapers! On the flip side, it is refreshing to be up by the white board, writing down the answers for a test and calling on students for participation. I do love teaching.
6 comments:
Yep, I want my kids to do well and be successful too. I think involvement and communication are key.
How can you possibly miss poopy diapers?! LOL!
Unfortunately some aspects of learning have to come from the child placing an intrinsic value on education. All of the kids in my family have excelled academically, but all at different paces and through different experiences. I have a brother who barely graduated high school but went on to earn a 4.0 in college. I have another brother who we wondered if he would actually ever graduate college, but once he found his niche he went on to dental school and is now practicing dentistry. Just remember it's never too late to gain a love of learning and sometimes it only comes with maturity. My husband gets so frustrated with his classroom as well because some kids are self motivated and responsible by nature and others struggle and struggle to achieve anything. The gray comes from not know what is going on at home, what kind of support system (or lack thereof) these kids have. Working at an alternative high school, my husband has learned to reach out and give the "class clowns" and "underachievers" a chance, knowing he could very well be the only positive influence they have in their life. Your boys are very blessed to have you and Jared for parents, to come from and in tact home that offers every advantage. Don't worry too much about your boys, they'll be successful in their own right!
whoa, that was a super long comment....maybe I should have saved it for an email :)
Are you a permanent sub then? I am glad you are enjoying teaching, you have such great enthusiasm. I was sorry to here about Isaac. Cailin does treatments when she gets sick. It sure can get scary. Your kids look so cute and are growing up so fast!
Some kids just aren't interested in taking the time for "neatness", but are still very intelligent and excellent students. Our oldest is a perfect example of that:) Or maybe I'm just lazy when it comes to making him write nicer and correct his spelling mistakes...
Post a Comment