Don't want to be negative, but I also don't want to forget what a TERRIBLE day I had today, and another reason why I think it's essential that my kids have "highly qualified" teachers.
I substituted the 6th grade class. I really enjoy that age, and I think all of those kids individually are smart, funny, and a delight to talk to. As a group...THEY WERE A MESS. I think the students behavior has to reflect on the homeroom teachers style and culture. But, when I came in, they showed zero respect or discipline.
From the 7:20am bell until the 2:15pm dismissal, it was he--. The noise volume in the class was so loud that even my "mean mom" voice couldn't get them to settle down. I would work with one set of boys to stop putting their feet on the desks or to start doing bell work, only to have to break up another set throwing basketballs back and forth during silent reading. I tried clapping, turning off lights, yelling, and even bringing in the Vice Principal to try and get them to follow directions. But, within 5-10 minutes, they were back to their off-the-wall behavior.
I was so frustrated that eventually I gave up and just sat down, not knowing what else to do. What was really sad was that I knew that NO LEARNING was being done. Why were these kids even at school if they were not going to gain anything from it? I felt bad for those 4 or 5 students who were on task and who were listening to my directions. Why did they have to suffer for the other 25 obnoxious, disrespectful and lazy class mates? How can anyone learn in that atmosphere of yelling, laughing, burping and complaining?
The day dragged on and on and on.
My final straw was at 1:30pm, after a LONG rainy day schedule (of course! That meant no recess, just more wild children cooped up in my stinky classroom), was with a boy who had been giving me issues from the morning hour. He was showing me some things on youtube, but when I asked him to get up and start doing some work, he REFUSED. So...I got into a power struggle with him. I just wanted him out of my seat and away from my computer...but, he would not! Can you imagine it? Me getting in his face and demanding him to, "Get out of my chair!" Him avoiding eye contact with me and not budging. I was so mad! I wanted to just shove him onto the ground and call it even, but since I couldn't physically touch him and get sued, another student had to...Who does that? Who fights with the teacher like that and then walks out of the classroom without permission? I was so bugged!!!
After talking with my other staff members, I now realize that it was not me or my lack of control, but that this particular class is extreme in their behavior. I know that there are not a lot of rules in that classroom, and so for a sub to come in and try to change it up was unrealistic. It makes me concerned for my own children. A teacher can make or break a learning environment. What if my boys are in a class where there are a lot of disrespectful kids? How are they to thrive? How can I even find that out if I am not in their class with them?
So, I came home with a sense of incompetence, felt like a failure, and had a headache. It took me a while to get over my feelings of frustration and guilt for not having accomplished anything for that school day. I am so grateful that I don't have a class of my own right now. I don't want to be stuck to one class for 7 hours at a time, sneaking away for bathroom breaks or constantly having to motivate the students to get work turned in. I love teaching, but today was not one of those.
Good night to those poor students in the 6th grade. Please come back to school tomorrow with a better attitude for learning and please learn some respect and rules for adults!
4 comments:
Stinky, stinky, bratty kids! What a horribly trapped situation.
I wanted to slap that kid just from reading your blog. Fun to catch up on what you have been up to. Good luck teaching! Your boys are sure cute!
Ugh, that sounds like a horrid day. I don't know what I would have done with that kid in the chair...errrr.
Those little buggars! I'm sorry you had to go through that.
Post a Comment