Tuesday, August 10, 2010

First day of school for all of us







I put in my two staff pictures; a 2010-2011 and then the original 2006-2007 when I first started at ACA. Check out that cute haircut!

First day of school. Started out rough at the gym (what do you expect at 4:30am?) I missed my box jump step and sliced up my shin really good. Ouch. Then came the diarrhea from my nervousness. Seriously?


No tears were shed by my big boys Wesley (1st grade) and Austin (Kindergarten). Thanks to a great summer school intro over the summer, they had confidence in the campus and staff members. The tears had already been shed month prior. I walked them to their classrooms, and hurried off to meet my new students! I love peeking in on them during class time and seeing their eyes smile at me when they see I am in there. I am grateful b/c we can have breakfast together and they have lunch together. They are once again best friends b/c they have no other friends! I feel kinda bad for them. It's hard being the new kids. That is what brothers are for. I think they looked so cute in their uniforms, combed hair, and new shoes.


I had an "aha moment:" my chidren have lots of attention and feel secure with themselves, that is why they are well behaved at church and at school. They don't need the extra attention from other adults. It is very evident when I am teaching other children that DO require that love from adults and teachers.


Not only was it the first day for my boys, but it was the first day for me! I ran out of things to teach 1/2 way through, so I had to fudge it with a book reading to all the students. (other teachers think I wear spanx when I am showing my knees in a skirt LOL).

It's weird having such freedom to choose what I do and dont' want to do. For example; hands washing before lunch is my choice, heads up 7 up, or letting them do any type of meditation after a long day. I also feel such a responsibility and a weight to do such a good job with these kids. I need to constantly be on my toes with them and set up the discipline early on. We have SSR/reading corner with pillows...I need to not take advantage of that situation. I also need to figure out dividing up the math groups and cursive handwriters from the rest. Lots to think about already!


All the teachers were very fresh with make up, new suits, high heels, smiles, etc. I am excited to see how they do come november! My class is very quiet, only 15 kids. Other class is more energetic....and we will have opportunities for behavior management! Already you can spot those kids that need the xtra attention, thus the acting out (like doing the worm on the floor?) The boys this year will be a challenge with their energy, talking, and rowdy laughter.

It's day #2...only 178 to go. Can I really do this? Take it one day at a time. Don't get overwhelmed, or discouraged. Do my best every day and try to make a difference with the ones that DO care about education. I do love teaching!

5 comments:

Clark Family said...

You're awesome and are going to do great!

Amberly said...

ade, what grade are you teaching? your concerns as a teacher are some of my same concerns as a parent- this school decision has been super difficult for me as I have really high expectations for this experience for cooper. I think the fact that you have your boys will help you be productive and give these kids a great year. I'm excited to follow your adventures!

The Gearharts said...

Thats great that the boys are at the school with you and you can peak in on them. How fun. Sounds like you have things figured out well and it should be a great year for you.

Erika said...

Phew! Sounds busy busy...good luck with the worm on the floor!! I'm guessing that one needs LOADS of attention, eh?!

Brooke said...

Sounds like you are all off to a great start! I love the feeling of a new school year :o) I'm sure you are such a fun teacher, and that's so great that you are so close to your older two and get to peak in and see how they are doing every day!