Monday, February 28, 2011

infections

I really miss my taste buds. I miss my sense of smell.

The metallic/ salty flavor in my mouth started about 3 weeks ago, another symptom of pregnancy. I was doing my best to deal with this "off" flavor in my mouth the best I could; I would gargle with baking soda, chew spearmint gum, suck on Starbursts, or eat non-sodium items. It was not perfect, but in between salt and metallic flavors, I could still enjoy a french fry or apple.

Now? Taste and smell are completely gone. Been about 6 days since I got a sinus infection. Tonight I made a yummy dinner (ham and cheese poppyseed sliders) with a spinach salad. My family was devouring the meal...and what was I doing? Picking at the food with my fork and breathing heavily through my mouth (since my sinus cavities are so blocked up).

I finally went to the urgent care yesterday, desperate for some answers and relief. What happened after 2 hours of waiting? NOTHING. I hate those visits where they send you empty handed and you feel like an idiot for having sacrificed your time and money to be there. He told me to keep using my neti pot and to take Benadryl at night. Thanks Mr. Dr.

I am obsessed with my Neti Pot. It only provides temporary relief, but how refreshing it is to have that fresh sensation inside my nose and to watch the flow of mucus LEAVE. It is quite disgusting at first, and makes your eyes water....but, after a few tries, you get addicted! If the yellow and brown mucus don't motivate you to get those boogers out of you...not sure what will. When they ooze and slime themselves out of your nose...it is quite the experience. I even took my Neti Pot to school with me today!

So...another day passes with sickness. If I am not nauseous and dry heaving, I am suffering from coughing or stomach pains...and now it's my poor sinus infection and headache that are just hard to adjust to! Especially chasing after students and kids all day. Do you know how it sounds to try and teach measurement conversions when you sound like you are plugging your nose? Not good.

I just want to get better for our cruise...in two short weeks...where the FOOD is everything to me...

please
o
please
get
healed.

Now.


Update: It's been 2 days of straight HEALTH for me. I went to my OB dr. appt last week and begged for some antibiotics. Amoxocyllin. Thank heaven for modern medicine. In four days I could taste and smell. I can taste my food, blow my nose without slime, and sleep without my mouth turning dry like the Sahara desert. This is not going unnoticed by me...my health has been compromised by my sweet peanut for months. I am just hoping that it can continue for a few more weeks/months? I have been able to stay up 'til 11pm watching movies, and I even enjoyed some sour patch watermelons! I love the taste :)

1 comment:

Boley Boys said...

I hope you're feeling better for the cruise too:). Bring on the food!!!