Day #1
Madness. Impatient. Frustration. Upset. Irritable.....that was me.
Laughing. Crying. Screaming. Happy. Oblivious....that was Isaac.
I decided to start potty training over this 3 day weekend. This will be my only opportunity to do so before summer hits, when my prego belly will be very ripe and uncomfortable. I am not expecting Isaac to be potty trained while at the babysitter, so I thought I better step up to the CHALLENGE.
In the a.m. I let him run around naked. I followed him around everywhere he went, and got absolutely nothing accomplished. Luggage still unpacked, dirty dishes in the sink, you get the picture.
We had 0 % sucess on the toilet in the a.m. I went through feelings like, "Does he even understand what pee is? Is he too young? Why is he still content even though he peed all over himself."
Gave him lots of liquids; chocolate milk, Vitamin water, caprisun, cranberry juice and OJ. Snacked on chips and crackers to make him more thirsty.
Lots of crouching over the toilet. My belly was cramping and back was slumped over from sitting on the stool for so long. Let the water run to encourage pee. Reading books and singing songs over and over. His favorite is a giant Elmo book...which happens to match his Elmo potty seat.
I took it outside where he jumped naked on the trampoline, peed on it and kept on going. I took him immediately to the potty every time, but of course nothing would come out.
He was alone for less than one minute, scurried to my bathroom where he pooped all over my rug. That was frightening for him as he had it all over his legs, feet and hands. GROSS.
Naptime. Heavenly day. I did some house work, caught up on email and dreaded the afternoon.
I then tried the undies technique. Went through at least 9 pairs. He may have gone 2 x's in the toilet all day long.
Jared got home and gave me some relief, although his patience level for potty training definitely was not high after coming home from work. All I heard in the bathroom were crying, slapping and demands. Not a great environment to relax and let the pee flow!
Why am I doing this again? I know he's not too young b/c both Wesley were potty trained at 26 months, Austin at 23 months...and Isaac is 26 months.
Just need to be consistent, patient and enthusiastic.
We'll see how it goes tomorrow.
Day #2
Morning pee successful!
Rest of the day...NOTHING. I just don't think Isaac gets it quite yet. We had him in undies and when he would wet himself, it wouldn't phase him at all..he'd watch the pee drip down his leg and soak into the ground.
We must've spent hours with him on the potty, or dropping his shorts by a nearby tree outside.
NOTHING.
Went to a cowboy wedding outside for the evening activity. Not an ideal place for a toddler in undies. He wet himself over and over and over...despite my efforts of taking him numerous times to the potty and encouraging him over and over and over. He'd sit on the potty for 20 seconds, then start crying to get down.
After the 3rd accident and a stranger came over to tell me my toddler had had an accident on the pavement, I gave up. Put the blasted diaper back on him.
Sorry folks. We'll have to try it again in two short months. I was looking forward to being diaper free for a bit! I need more than three days to get this thing going. It is going to take more exposure, more potty talk and more patience before I try again.
6 comments:
That sounds like a nightmare. I feel for you! Bryan has been so much tougher to train than my girls, it has really tried my patience! He finally got the number 2 thing after 6 months of constant accidents. Now it is worth it, but I unfortunately have lost my temper a few times :) I am sure it will go better next time!
Kids are all different. Some of mine learned around 2 and others took until around 3 to fully get it. They just didn't care and I discovered I was trained more than they were if I pushed it before they were ready. I say a break sounds good...otherwise you might go nuts! :)
We are in the same boat... training Gavin right now. I don't know if we'll stick with it or not and he'll be three in June!
Ugh! I hate potty training!!!
hey, you used to bug me about seeing a pic of a baby bump....where's yours?!
Totally different kiddos. Adam was 2 1/2 and trained in a day. Bridget has been through 3 different sessions of training in the last 6 mo. and is now in diapers again. SHe turns 4 next week. Arrgh! But she just doesn't care and there is nothing that will make her care enough to stop playing to pee. We're going to wait. (I'm not saying I don't make her go every 2 hrs. I just don't trust her in undies).
Good luck!
Post a Comment