
This blog is dedicated to us mama's out there of kiddos that refuse to eat "healthy veggies" and find ourselves fighting at the dinner table over it! I found the solution...
Many of you know that I love Oprah (went and saw her last year with Arianne Pearce in person!).She did a show on this new book by Jessica Seinfield (Jerry's wife). She found an idea to secretly put in the veggies into normal toddler foods without the kids knowing about it. It is called, "Deliciously Deceptive."
I picked up my own copy at Barnes 'N Nobles (they were sold out, but I was persistent)...She makes everything very simple in terms of what things you need in your kitchen (wisks, pans, etc) as well as the "how to" puree the veggies in liquid form and hide them in your Mac 'n Cheese...
I love this book! I am excited to use it...of course I need a kitchen that I actually WANT to be in first though...hopefully by Christmas we will be in our house...
Tonight I made Beef Stroganoff (not a recipe from the book, but I added pureed carrots and onions and the first thing both my boys said were, "yummy!"). Miracles do happen.
As an update...Austin goes to the Neurologist later on this year to check out his cyst. His ears look good, lots of dry blood, but he is acting his normal and emotional self. Wesley roars like a lion and he cries like a baby. Good mix of personalities.
We are leaving this weekend for Florida for a business conference for DirectBuy...a few days without the kids is always refreshing, even if it is business related. We will try our best to enjoy a few yummy restaurants and hit up some tourist sites for sure.
PS....I also took my kids Visiting Teaching today. I haven't been teaching with them for like 6 + months and boy could I tell that they are not old enough for it! They were roaming around, fighting with each other, Wesley was his typical "lion" self (which we are still working on making him stop!), Austin was spilling all of the treats all over the floor that I had brought, and both of them were just begging for attention. NOT an ideal visit for me or the ladies in my church!
What's a girl got to do to share a spiritual thought without having to discipline in the middle of my testimony!
"I know that we should always work hard on not procrastinating the important...wait boys! Stop fighting...Wesley, go to time out. Austin, pick up your pretzels....No, you may not get down, and stop hitting!....And that Heavenly Father wants us to be happy...etc"
Next time I will opt to find a babysitter...
If any of you get the book, let me know your thoughts!
7 comments:
I can relate! I have four kids three of them veggie worthy and we stuggle too! Trust me. I miss you girl! Your blogs always gets me tearly eyed, remembering the good old days of having ya just three doors down, fat and prego for too many months, and waiting for kids walking down the sidewalks while on the phone, the good gym work outs! I love ya and miss ya tons! Even your cute kids! April
So far Sammy loves his veggies...but I have seen good reviews on this book too, The Sneaky Chef: Simple Strategies for Hiding Healthy Foods in Kids Favorite Meals by Missy Chase Lapine. I put it on my wishlist on Amazon! :) Thanks for the review/tips!
I just got that book for by b-day!!! Love it love it. Jaxson was fooled last night with the spaghetti Pie mixed in with carrots and broccoli. So yummy too!! I am so glad to hear you have it to, Puree it up I got a food processor too. Talk to you soon
Well, I will try anything. :)
Hey Adrienne, just thought I'd post a comment. My brother and sister-in-law have the book and love it. My sister-in-law puts veggies in everything now. Even my brother has been fooled a few times (brownies with spinich).
I love this idea! I have been doing this since my children started eating solids... disguising broccoli with a mozzerella sauce, or pureed butternut squash in the mac and cheese!
I say, try anything to get your kids to eat healthy. And sometimes... you've just got to put your foot down!
Not only do I love the veggie ideas, but I laughed most about the visiting teaching episode! I hear ya girl. It's so true! In fact there is a group of gals in my ward that do a preschool for our 3-4 year olds and after Tuesday the teacher for that week (a sister in our ward) wrote us all an email saying the younger siblings were a "distraction". I was the helper teacher this week...and well that was a nice way of putting it. Jacob loves to be a lion/tiger/etc. and loved to torment all 6 girls. I just laughed at her email and chose not to respond. One day she'll have a boy and then she'll understand. :) Anyway, good luck with the house! Soon you'll be all moved in!
Post a Comment