Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Rascal is gone


After three solid months of trying to make things work out with our sweet "rescued" dog, Rascal, we had to give him away to the Humane Society. It really did break my heart, as well as Jared's. We are dog lovers to the bone.

When it came down to Austin/Wesley vs. Rascal, I obviously had to choose my dogs. He was just too hyper, bouncy and energetic for my boys (or me) to handle. A family with older children, or a single adult would really be ideal for sweet Rascal.

Jared and I sure did feel guilty. It's like he knew he was leaving us. He was so well behaved in the back of the truck when we drove him over to the shelter, and he kept giving us those huge sad puppy dog eyes. Break my heart!

We headed to the downtown El Paso location where we arrived early. To waste some time, we hit up the local, "Chicos Tacos" (pretty much drenched in cheese and a red sauce that were pretty good, although too early for me to enjoy a taco at 10am). I then hung out at the ghetto park with a drunk man and some scattered pigeons while Austin climbed up on the bars. I knew I wouldn't be able to handle leaving Rascal, especially after I had heard those sweet dogs howling for a home the minute we pulled up. I was too emotional and kept crying to make it a peaceful good-bye.

We told Rascal how much we loved him, how sad we were to have to leave him there and that we really do hope he finds a good home. The good news is, is that they never kill the animals. They also usually adopt out the larger breeds (especially Labs). That does give me some hope.

The boys have been very devastated and Wesley doesn't understand why we had to give him away. Wrangler also seems to be in some funk now that his brother is gone. That really makes me so sad!!! I took and got him groomed yesterday (shaved and shampooed) and we let him sleep inside our house last night. He doesn't know what to think being inside b/c he has been an outdoors dog for over a year now. The boys LOVE to hang all over Wrangler, and Austin especially had to give him TWO hugs and TWO kisses before going to bed.

We continue to pray for him everyday and I will check back in a few weeks to see if he is still there.

We love you Rascal!

4 comments:

Brooke said...

oh....I'm sorry! That's a sad thing to go through.

Audrey said...

I think you mean to say that when it comes down to Wesley/Austin vs. Rascal, you choose your BOYS right?

Jana said...

Sad. I am so sorry to hear that. Not because I am a dog lover, but because I know it was hard for you. You made the right choice.

Tawna said...

So sad about Rascal...I'm sure that was a very hard thing to do.. I'm totally a dog lover too, it would be hard to give that up.

Cool that you were here in Utah! Glad you enjoyed conference!!

Thats funny about your extentions. When I had mine, I think they lasted maybe a month before I took them out. I couldn't stand not being able to brush my hair, wash it and style it very well. It was fun while it lasted, loved the longness and thickness, but I wouldn't do it again...too expensive!