Sunday, June 22, 2008

Fair Oaks Dairy Farm

Girls camp came and went without any huge excitements. It is always so nice to be out in nature, not connected to a cell phone and refrigerators.

I tried my best to be up close and personal with the girls. I opened myself up to talk about bras, periods, dating and kissing...all that good stuff that you want to know about when you are 12 but never dare ask anyone! Most of the girls sat there blushing while I chatted away like it was no big deal, and of course there were NOT any further questions asked. If I am still embarrassed to talk about that kind of stuff after delivering two babies, there is something wrong with me!

I came back with braids and Jared's first comment to me was, "What's up Girls camp?" I must've looked pretty granola-ish in my large t-shirt, braids and dirty face. It was fun though. Just don't offer me any more ranch style beans, hoagie sandwiches or hot tang.

This morning Jared and I took our boys to the largest Dairy Farm in the USA. Here in Indiana, the Fair Oaks farm was amazing. To give you some basic stats:

19,000 acres!

10 milking farms with a 24 hour milking carrousel... This carrousel was amazing. The cows line up ONE BY ONE and milk three times a day. The take a turn on the carrousel and according to the tourgiver, they "enjoy the ride." Isn't that funny?

A real Birthing Barn (where 80 calves are born A DAY)

2,800 cows (that's a lot of milking to do and cleaning up)

World Wide awards for best cheese

Homemade Ice Creams

the list could go on and on....

My favorite part was the birthing barn for sure. Granted, it was a little too much for me to see all the urine and blood streaming out...I got sick to my stomach. But, there was such a sense of respect and admiration for those mama cows as they restled with the calves in their bellies and then plopped them out. We watched two be born! First the hooves pop out, then the little mouth with the tongue sticking out to the side. At that point, either the midwife to those mama cows helps lubricate the opening so the calf slides out, or she's just on hand to help put the legs in a good position.

The calves pop out all slimy, but not crying. They look a bit bewildered as they are wondering why they are so darn cold and why it's so bright! But, no umbilical cord...so, I wonder how the cows feed them in the belly? Within 45 minutes the calves are walking around and will then be bottle fed....80 a day! Holy Cow is a great expression!

The boys loved riding the tractors, eating homemade ice cream and running in the grass. Austin is actually NOT used to grass, he kept rolling around in it and giggling. El Paso needs a bit more.

So....a fantastic hands on experience, great learning tools (a 3D movie that sprayed water on you during the show, as if it were milk when they were "milking" a cow in the movie!), and a beautiful facility....I LOVED IT!

Got Milk?

8 comments:

Brilliantly Bridge said...

What a cow experience. WE wish we were close so that we could do these fun things together.

Audrey said...

That sounds really fun for a family outing. Glad girls camp didn't offer you any drama. That seems to be the usual case.

Julie said...

Wow! That sounds so amazing! Did the boys watch the calves being born, too? I guess you won't have much explaining to do about the birds and the bees... LOL!

Have a safe and happy trip.

Lindy said...

That sounds awesome. What brings you to Indiana? I live in Indianapolis, and I've never heard of that farm. We might have to head up there sometime.

KA said...

You never stop. I love it! I can always count on you for stories of adventure.

Anonymous said...

you are way out there

Trimbles said...

Im sorry, girls camp didnt sound like it was super fun... Im not expecting much more. I think Im only going to have maybe 6 girls total if Im lucky. Im glad you had fun on the farm though :)

Allison said...

Sounds like you guys had fun! :) I wouldn't know what girls camp would be like with our girls! I don't think they would do the "outdoor" thing without throwing a fit first!!!