Monday, December 22, 2008

Wal-Mart love


This time of year, no one wants to go out shopping. Between the long lines, the empty shelves and overpriced items....it definitely can feel like "'tis NOT the season."

Jared's only day off is Sunday, which does not allow for errands, etc. So, he has 1/2 day on Monday's that he can spend with us. I always take advantage of those quick Mondays. Today was no exception. He still had to go into work for some items, so by the time we were on the road (after cleaning house, heaven knows I am not about to do some mopping with my big ol' belly), it was close to 1:30pm. With Wesley dropped off to preschool, we were on our way.

We both wanted to check out the Super Wal-Mart in a nearby town, 1/2 hour away. There was the Holiday traffic, and by the time we arrived, it was already 2pm and we had to pick up Wesley in 45 minutes. No good! This was our Super Wal-Mart, something that we have NOT experienced in our 6 months of living here, and we were both anxious to look around. The closest one here in town is not a Super Center, so you are limited!

I started mad dashing through the produce, getting anything and everything I could, knowing that I was limited on time. . It was so exciting, yet stressful b/c I knew we were so crunched for time.

Let me compare a few items that I miss being able to get at Wal-Mart:

Cream of mushroom soup ($.52 vs. $1)
Tortillas (much larger selection)
Life Cereal ($2.75 vs. $4.50)
Oreos ($2.50 vs. $4.00 on sale)
Pears ($1 vs. $1.98)
Freschetta Pizza ($4.98 vs. $6.98)
Ocean Spray Juice ($2.98 vs. $4.50)

Is it sad that I find these savings exciting! You can see why I have a HARD time shopping at the local stores here when I know there are big savings elsewhere.

I was able to call a friend to go and pick up Wesley for me, and that allowed us 1/2 hour extra to do our browsing. I know that this was a simple thing for everyone else in the world, but we were just pleased as could be with our long lost Wal-Mart!

Anyway, so this is just a shout out for Wal-Mart....even with the sketchy employees, usually dirty bathrooms, and bad rep, our hearts are true blue for our favorite store to do our budget shopping and to have a great selection on everything:)

5 comments:

KA said...

YEAH! I'm back in. Thanks!

Amy said...

Yah...I pretty much love and hate Walmart! We have a Walmart about 2 minutes away from our place in Utah that we'll be moving to. It'll be nice!

Diana said...

amen! Marc just tried to convince me to boycott based on a co-workers experience. I told him it wasn't going to happen--it's the only way we're growing our food storage right now. And $13 DVDs aren't bad either!

Unknown said...

Hear, hear!!

I adore Walmart. My motto: If you can't find it at Walmart, you don't need it!!! :)

Tawna said...

I love wal-mart too!! Especially cause they price match. Most of the time when I go to price match, I find that Wal-Mart's prices are already cheaper...funny!

PS, you look fantastic!!! I'm totally jealous!