Monday, December 8, 2008

When's your baby due?

I am grateful to be pregnant, don't get me wrong. I love feeling the baby kick, I love the hiccups he has, and I even love knowing that "heartburn means more hair on his head!"

BUT....this does NOT mean that I enjoy the comments I am getting from EVERYONE I see and meet....with no exaggeration.

Saturday at work, I had no less than 35 people ask me, "When is your baby due?" "Is this your first?" And also including several comments like, "Did you forget to take the turkey out of the oven?" or,"You look like you are ready to pop!" "You look really big! I thought you were further along!"

The attention from all of these strangers is not something I am enjoying. Instead of asking me for help as a DirectBuy service owner, they are more interested in making comments about my body. No more please! I really am feeling more and more insecure as the people look me up and down and continue to make all of these comments. I feel like they can't get over the fact that I am this pregnant, running around, bending down to pick things up, leaning over tables to help them find things in the catalogs, and continue to work just as much as a non-prego mama.

For the last time...I am due next month, no I am not ready to pop, yes I am excited, no this is not my first child, but yes this is my third boy...and yes, we'll probably try for a girl next time.

I think my next response to all of this attention from strangers will be, "I am not pregnant, I just like to eat."

And next time I see a "Big Mama" (that is what I call myself these days), I will just tell her, "You look great and I wish you the best of luck with this next baby!"

7 comments:

Mike and Kelli said...

Adrienne- I feel your pain! I got similar comments when I still had a couple of months to go. Just start telling people you already had the baby and his is a month old. That will shut them up for sure! :)
xoxo, Kelli

Diana said...

I remember very well all those comments when I was pregnant with Carter. Didn't get quite so many with Anderson's pregnancy but I have adopted the same policy b/c of my own insecurities--I tell pregnant moms just how great they look no matter what b/c really that's all you need to hear! So Adrienne, you look fabulously beautiful.

Jana said...

Oh, I feel for you. I was in NYC a few weekends ago and a random guy on the street came up to me and said, "Ohhhh, a Christmas baby!!" Are you kidding me. Try a MARCH baby jerk! I am sure you look fantastic. But I know how NOT fun it is to feel fat and ugly. Even though I know you don't look that way.

Trimbles said...

HAHA... Yes, I get the "your about ready to pop" comment all the time. I usually say "No, Im not done yet." It is irritating. Is this your first, oh twins, do they run in your family? WHo's business is it of yours! :) What are they? Then my favorite is "Oh, good, you'll be done!" Like... just because I have one of each doesnt mean Im done having kids... who ever said I couldnt have more then 2! @#$(*#@($*& :) I understand. As for the belly pics, it hasnt changed since the last one, and I'm the one usually taking the pictures. And the work pic is 2 years old... no belly. Just the only picture thats any good of all of us together. Im glad you are just as active as me though... I just cant stand just sitting around. Like what am I waiting for? And now that Im at home, I still have TONZ to do! Just because we're prego doesnt mean we are invalids.

Amy said...

I can't stand the things people say! The phrase, "You look like you're ready to pop!" is sooo rude to me! No matter who says it! I have a little more patience with the "when are you due" question, because I know people are curious! BUT...it's the way they say it that bugs me sometimes.

I have been very ready to do a post on just this subject! haha! Get ready!

Brooke said...

I get the "are you going to try for a girl" once a week....I hear you there!

I remember turning into a hermit the last month or so because I hated being the center of attention everywhere I went! It seems like everyone has to look at / talk to / touch the pregnant lady!! Hang in there, you are so close!

Arianne Pearce said...

Amen sister!