
I don't think I will make it to the 12 month mark with Isaac. I nursed my other two boys until they were a year old. I already am thinking about wanting him to take a bottle so I can have my hands free to make dinner, fold laundry, drive or read a bedtime story. It is a lot harder to feed on demand when you have a single mother household to run! I could pump out the milk, problem is, is that I am always feeding him and so my milk supply doesn't allow for me to store the milk in between feedings.
The good thing about nursing, is that it forces me to take a minute to stop and enjoy my baby. Everything (including crying toddlers, boiling water, or appointments) are all put on hold as I cradle him and watch his little eyes dart back and forth.
The bad thing about nursing, is that it is very inconvenient! For example, this last race that I ran on Saturday...I was stuck nursing him before and after the race. Salty milk for him. I didn't have a bottle to leave for him, and so it gets stressful not knowing if you will be leaving your baby to cry with someone else, or if he might just make it until you get back. It's not my favorite to whip out the boob and feed in the car, in the park, at the gym, or at church. I would like the freedom to give him a bottle and then gage how much he is drinking at one session (versus just sucking away and hoping that he is getting enough).
For now, I am still the milk maid. Gotta do what you gotta do for your babies. When he is this darn cute though, how could any mama resist her hunk of love?
ps....Isaac is still not sleeping through the night. Feel like I have tried everything. Any advice? Should I just let him "soothe" himself (which eventually will mean he will suck his thumb or fingers?) vs. giving him his pacifier and nursing him throughout the night?
4 comments:
The nursing dilemma is such a tricky one. I went back and forth with Molly trying to decide. I am in the process of weaning her now (she just turned one). Gracie was bottle/formula fed with no problems. In the end I decided that breastfeeding is not the determining factor when it comes to being a good mother. Do what you have to do to feel sane and enjoy all of your boys. If having to stop and nurse all the time is stressing you out and you feel like you just can't juggle it all, then don't do it (plus the baby feels all that stress). Plus chances are if you switch him over to formula he'll be sleeping through the night a lot sooner. Formula has come a long way and in my experience my formula fed baby is just as healthy (if not more, seriously Molly has had a chronic cold this whole winter, never dealt with that with Gracie) and developmentally on track as my breastfed baby. I know there are a billion studies that say what breast is best blah blah blah, but I'm going off real life experience and I say put the babe on formula and you'll feel like super woman again. Whatever you choose, just do what is right in your situation (which is very unique) and then don't let anyone make you feel guilty about it. {sorry...didn't mean to go off like that! I'm a little sensitive about the subject b/c some people are so die-hard about it and don't look at each individual circumstance. You are an amazing mama and will do what's right for you}
Good luck!
Kelli
I love all the pics and of course he looks like Wesley and cries like Austin.
I know exactly how you feel. Feeding on-demand definately takes on new meaning when you have a 3 year old and a pre-schooler at home, as well as a newborn!
I think it all has to do with your perspective. If it is stressing you out, by all means, do formula. I agree that the baby does feel your stress- Formula has come a long way and will be just fine for Issac- and you did BF for the first 3 months and that's great.
If you really do want to breastfeed, then look at the little breaks as a blessing. I think it is God's way of letting us busy moms take a much-deserved, much-needed break. We have to sit down, hold our precious baby, (who changes too fast) and take 15 minutes to enjoy them- I absolutely enjoy those minutes when I can sit down with Nathan- I close my bedroom door and shut out all the madness, and enjoy the time with my smiley baby. I just know I have to plan in that time to nurse everyday when I make my To-Do list!
You'll make the right decision- I have great confidence in your abilities as a mother!
Funny that I was just thinking this exact same thing with the same thoughts then read you blog! With 3 kids it seems harder to keep up and breastfeed. I am still undecided with what I will do! Good Luck!
Post a Comment