Austin woke up screaming this morning at 5am. I was nursing the babe, and so I just thought, "another bad dream." I got Jared up so he could attend to his needs. Austin kept on crying, but I didn't think too much of it. I wanted to take advantage of going to the gym ALONE for once, and so I put on my running shoes and headed out the door by 5:45am.
Not 5 min into my workout, the front desk gal came by to tell me I had a phone call. I was so surprised that I literally FELL OFF of the hiking treadmill. Talk about embarrassing. I did catch my fall, but not without blushing. Jared was very nervous b/c Austin couldn't calm down and was screaming in pain with his hip.
Off we went to the Urgent Care. They were not able to do x-rays like I had hoped, and so they sent us off to the ER. Poor Austin couldn't sit, stand, lay down, etc. He would scream whenever Jared lifted him in and out of a chair. His demeanor was totally normal, which I am grateful for. He was asking for food, talking about the Dr, and wanting to be held. But, what was wrong with his hip? Or was it his leg? Was it an infection of the joint?
I wasn't quite prepared to be gone the entire day...isn't it always how it goes? I was still in my workout clothing, I hadn't brought any food for my kids, and I didn't even have a water bottle for the AZ heat.
I was very impressed with the Pediatric Unit. Red, Yellow, Blue and Green painted walls everywhere, a snack/refreshment fridge with pudding and Jell-O (which you know my boys loved), and even Jared and I had one of those pre-made gross sandwiches. After 4 hours or so, your tummy starts to rumble with hunger! They had a movie playing for the patients to watch, big comfy chairs, and Austin even got a little red pillow on his bed as a souvenir.
After taking blood tests and x-rays, the Dr found NOTHING wrong with our little "Double A." It's a relief b/c I was getting nervous that he might have some sort of cancer or dangerous infection in his joint. The Dr thinks it may have been a sprain??? Not quite sure. That was a lot of screaming and energy spent on crying for just a sprain! The biggest thing that he said was, "the difference between adults and children; when something hurts us, we just keep on using it. For children, they will stop when there is pain." Ironically, we weren't doing any physical activities the day before to cause the pain.
I am so grateful. Hip Hip Hoo-ray. Austin is in good spirits, his hip is healing just fine, and he is excited about his new bubble gum antiobiotic medicine. Wesley broke his leg at age 2, and Austin sprained his hip at age 3. What is in store for Isaac?
4 comments:
I'm glad Austin seems to be doing better. I'm glad you had a good trip up to UT. (a bit jealous) I like what you wrote about sharing the good and the bad on your blog. Sometimes I forgot what it all for.
Oh Adi, Im so glad your mom got married. She looks SO happy. WHat a good day for her. And did you say your Dad went with you? Did he go to the wedding??? Did they get a temple divorce? And Im totally cracking up that you went back to that basement apartment! The poor couple who lives there now :) HAHA. CT had to duck to use your bathroom! HAHAHA... Love it. And your crazy days sound like mine. I feel like once Im out of the house I might as well get everything done that I can before its absolutely time to go home. Before the massive fits start happening. Poor babies. Y, que va a hacer :)
Glad it wasn't anything serious!
Wow, I just had a few min to catch up on your blog! So much happening for you! I'm so glad your Mom got married!
The good AND the bad happen for us Moms. I, too, have been working on just enjoying it. I read a quote the other day (can't remember who said it) that said, she wished she appreciated her kids more, and enjoyed the MOMENTS more instead of always being in a hurry to get on to the next thing. I've read that quote before and it's really stuck with me. So I'm trying to do that! It is hard to change.
But every little bit makes a difference! And you are doing a GREAT job, all by yourself all week. At least you have your own home and your own routine, and you can leave the dishes dirty in the sink if you'd rather play with your kids after lunch!
Enjoy it all. I can't believe it's been 5 years since my little Livia was born...
Post a Comment