Monday, June 29, 2009

The Organ


I called up to play the organ Sat night for the following day. I really love playing the piano, but I don't get to play the organ very often anymore. It used to be my church calling, but that was several years (and wards) ago. With my piano still being broken from my move (a whole other saga to tell...but, should be getting fixed after our claim processes with the movers), I have not been able to play my piano, or practice anything in months.

I got up extra early to head out to the church yesterday to get in some practice time. But, by the time I was done cleaning the nursery toys (one of my only duties as a nursery leader), there was not a lot of time to practice. I ran through the assigned hymns as quickly as I could on the piano and headed home to help load up our boys.

The result? If you know me, I always arrive 5 minutes LATE everywhere I go. This is NOT okay when you are the organist! Jared and I sped to the church, in time for me to arrive at 9:55am. Church starts at 10:00am. I ran into the building, where there was a full SILENT congregation and the bishopric looking a bit worried. I went up the organ and told bishop, "I am here! Did you want to play? Hop on up!"

I am grateful I got there before bishop started "welcoming visitors, etc" but, this did not give me ANY time to prep for the organ settings. I have not played the organ, especially this particular organ in 2+ years. So, I had completely forgotten how to set the settings, which ones allow me to have that deep base note and how loud to go. I got through two hymns and then the meeting started.

I had the bright idea to suggest that we do patriotic songs to the chorister. A great idea, right? But, again, I had not practiced ANY of those hymns~ I was just trying to provide a bit of patriotic music for this 4th of July coming up.

First hymn...I start playing for the congregation and the settings do not sound right. I try adjusting the pedals for volume, but either the notes got TOO loud or TOO soft. I couldn't figure it out...all the while, the congregation is supposed to be following me? I have forgotten how choppy the organ sounds if you don't HOLD onto those keys. My fingers are feeling nervous as I try to "glide" them back and forth without making any major mistakes.

I am feeling distracted by my kids on the front row bouncing up and down and I am trying to stay focused on those lyrics so that I don't lose my place. I had forgotten how HIGH UP the book sits on the organ, I felt like I was reading music from off of the ceiling! It was hard for me to glance down at my fingers for the keys, look back up to the music, glance back at my feet to play a few base notes (since my settings were so soft sounding, I needed that extra base help), and then back up to the music without losing my place. There is a lot of pressure when you have a hundred people or so following along!

Sacrament hymn...smooth sailing, thank goodness. No need to play an extra verse while they finish preparing the sacrament. That can always be a bit nerve wrecking b/c if you mess up, no one is singing along to cover it up. It's just you and those pipes!

Rest hymn...The Star Spangled Banner! I had NOT practiced this song EVER. I was super nervous for it and kept praying to Heavenly Father that He would help me along. I wanted this hymn to be for Him and His church service, so I just needed that extra feeling of peace as I tried my best. The congregation stood up and we sang all three verses. I was especially nervous on, "And the rockets red blaired, the bombs bursting in air!" chorus part b/c I did not want to mess up that important part! I got the chills when I heard those beautiful lyrics and the only thing missing was a gigantic flag hanging over so we could salute it:)

Last hymn...My Country 'Tis of Thee. Again, had not practiced it at all, but it was an easy one.

Overall, an enjoyable meeting. The pioneers were discussed, patriotic music sung, and the organist was not too frazzled to head off to her toddlers in nursery for the last two hours.

Update: May 2nd, 2010. It's been almost a year since I last played! My newest calling is the ward organist. I still get sweaty feet and hands when I hop up there. Practice does make perfect, but without a piano here at home, I can't get in the playing time I need! After I made it to church 5 min early, the chorister told me, "You better go through that one again" after fudging up a few sharps and flats during pre-lude. It is scary up there!

8 comments:

Julie said...

Arrrrgggh! I am so sorry that you didn't have enough time to practice and arrange your settings. I have a hard time adjusting anything while I am actually playing, so I feel for you! I am so proud of you for using the foot pedals. I am still too chicken to try, and if I couldn't find that magic bass coupler button... This is making me get butterflies just thinking about it!!!

I am also so sorry to hear about your piano! I didn't know it had been broken. I would be SO mad if I were you. I hope that the moving company compensates you without too much fuss.

Jana said...

Way to go!! You pulled it off as I knew you would. I had no idea you could play the organ. Super star.

Krazy Kobels said...

I thought you did great I didn't notice any mistakes. I hope you enjoyed a little bit being up there and not wrestleing kids the whole time! Good Job!

Diana said...

Will you come be my nursery leader, too?

Adrianne said...

Um, is no one else horrified that they put a poor woman who is alone with three toddlers ALL WEEK LONG in a nursery calling?!?!?!? Hello, can't they give you a break and at least give you the young women or something?

I am very impressed with the organ playing, I do nothing musical. Really, nothing.

Erika said...

I didn't notice anything out of order in your playing either. It sounded beautiful. And as for Nursery, you always seem to be doing fun things with those kids, I'm sure they love it!

Arianne Pearce said...

You stress me out. The good news is that is how you work best. You are the under pressure queen.

Boley Boys said...

You did our country (and ward) proud and played the organ beautifully! You are one super talented lady!

Nursery missed you today. :(