Friday, September 18, 2009

Grand Canyon

I have lived in AZ for a number of years now, but had never visited the Grand Canyon. What a better time than now to do so? Our good friends, the McGrath's were visiting there at the same time from Utah (we met them in El Paso), and so it was a perfect chance to visit and sight see over Labor Day.

Too bad that the Grand Canyon is not "kid friendly" when you are talking about a 5, 4, 3, 2, 11months and 7 month old. We went there right as the sun was setting, so our pictures were not as crisp and bright as I would have wanted. I didn't get a chance to really take in the breath taking view b/c I was chasing kids, pushing strollers and blocking the sun! I did love being in the fresh mountain air, seeing all the chasing clouds above the canyon and imagining all the fun hikes I would love to go on once we have older kids.

On the way home, we spotted a Native American Tourist spot. It was the best part. We ate some greasy fry bread tacos, ring toss dancing and turquoise jewelry. The boys are into necklaces right now, so Jared spotted some cool eagle ones. We really enjoyed watching the Indians do their chants and dancing with bright colored feathers and bells.

The rest of the weekend was spent in Flagstaff where we visited a park (something we haven't done in weeks b/c you'll burn yourself on the playground equipment in Phoenix in the 110 F weather), swam at the hotel and went for a bumpy ride in the mountains looking for a fishing hole while swapping passengers so we could chat with our friends and eat corn nuts. Our boys got along really well and got a kick out of wearing their jackets at nighttime (such a novelty now that we live in the desert. They used to wear them INSIDE our house in MD, so they really miss having them!)

At the park, Isaac sat in a swing for the first time and of course loved it. Wesley now knows how to swing without assistance and loved the monkey bars (which he thinks he learned b/c he is now in Kindergarten and "un chico grande"). Austin loved playing Hot Lava with papa and eating the chips we brought along. Jared relaxed a bit in the fresh air and chased the boys around. I loved chatting with Sandra on our blankets and watching our babies eat the grass.

Overall, a great three days. We stayed up late the last night playing Phase 10, where Sandra always claims she doesn't "remember" how to play (yet, she WINS every single time!) By 1am, we were all super tired, and headed back home the following day feeling refreshed and happy. Just so nice to spend a few days in good weather, with my dear husband and kissable boys.

Included are a few random pics. The boys slept in the same hotel bed and were often smushed together within a few hours while they were in dream land. So precious. I also bought them a pencil sharpener. It has been a novelty for a good 1/2 hour before full pencils have been whittled away to pint size sticks. Wesley pulled out the entire box of colored pencils and worked away at it! He especially loves the suction part on the bottom and loved explaining how it worked to Jared (as if we had never used one ourselves). That innocence is priceless.

Isaac is also sitting up so well now on his own, at 8 months old, 21 lbs, and has sprouted two little toofies (bottom right and then left). He loves to take baths in the sink (and I love it b/c it's fast, easy, convenient, and no bending over required). He eats like a champ, including; mama's milk, 2 bowls of cereal/veggies/applesauce, a string cheese, bread, cheerios and graham crackers for dessert...all in one sitting! He is rocking on his knees now and I am sure will start army crawling this next month. The boys will go and wake him up almost every morning by climbing into his crib, turning on his light, covering him back up like a "burrito" and chatting with him. He loves it, although I am not so sure how the crib feels.






















4 comments:

Arianne Pearce said...

WOW. How long did it take you to upload all those photos?? Don't know but I do love it! I love so many pics because I can get a better idea of how big those boys have gotten. Looks like you had a ton of fun even if it was quick and crazy- which is the Wilson family style!! Love ya tons- can't wait to kiss on that baby soon!

Brian and Jessica said...

I can't believe how big your boys are!! It's so funny how your kids grow and change but everybody else's kids don't! I'm excited to keep up with you guys better!! Ü

Clark Family said...

We've never been to the Grand Canyon either...looks great!
I liked not having a TV because I end up watching it too much, but at the same time I don't think I could give it up!

The Big Sister said...

Oh it looks like you had SOOO much fun at the Grand Canyon! And by the way we love sink baths over here too- MUCH cheaper than filling even a teensy bathtub!