Saturday, April 17, 2010

No prom date

Tonight I was going to go to the Prom. My school, Arizona Charter Academy was having their big event. I was so excited. I had my gown (borrowed from a young woman in my ward), my date (or so I thought), a babysitter, and the event all marked on my calender.

Jared really wasn't up for it from day one, or should I say since yesterday. Yesterday is when I told him about it. I figured he would go either way....um...no. In his words, "I am not going to go to a high school dance to watch a bunch of teenagers bump and grind that I don't know. I will go, but I will not dance." Understood, but I still wanted to go. Then, he told me that he only wanted to make an appearance and then get out of there. Why put that much effort forth if we were going to leave in 30 minutes? We went to the same prom 3 years ago, and although I enjoyed it, I know that Jared really wasn't wanting to re-live the same experience. Sigh.

I guess I get it. He doesn't know anybody. He feels like it is inappropriate for a man twice their age to be on the dance floor, and really couldn't relax and have fun. I on the other hand, thought it would be a great time! I teach a lot of those students, I love the fellow staff, and I love any reason to go out and DANCE. But, what fun is a dance if I have no dance partner?

So...we didn't go to prom. So sad.

Wesley then got pink eye. Ugh.

What did we do? We made the best of it. We played Candyland, picked up dog poop, pulled weeds, cleaned the kitchen and I made homemade pizza (substituting hot dog slices for pepperoni. That was interesting). I ate way too much, like usual, so we went out for a walk. It was so nice to enjoy the warm 75 degrees, all the gnats (why do they always cluster up and fly into your face?), the sunset, and flowers that Austin always picks (cerra tus ojos mama. Tengo una sorpresa!).

We hit up the Fry's grocery store that is 3 blocks away, & got a RedBox for the boys. At the ice cream aisle, you should've seen their faces when Jared said, "Pick out anything you want!" A little boys dream come true....well, I guess mine too! Artificially flavored and no-nutrients florescent push-up pops was the selection, that they smeared across their little mouths all the way home (and shirts). Jared and I got some Breyer's and watched our flick ("Fame") after the boys went to bed.

Now that my allergies are in full swing, my eyes are pink and swollen, and my tummy is full of sugar, I wonder if I would've had that much fun at the prom?

9 comments:

Toodles said...

Ahhh... sorry you missed the prom! That sounds like a situation that would happen with Dirk and I too. What do you do?!

Seems like it ended up being a fun family night though, even if you ate too much (homemade pizza sounds sooo good right now... besides the hot dogs...haha! Way to improvise).

Hope your allergies get better soon. They are the pits!

Arianne Pearce said...

Ah man! What the crap. Well, let's just said that Jared is like every other husband in the world. I love the family times of togetherness and I am sure that the boys got way more out of that night than if you had gone. Still sad... but still fun.

Krazy Kobels said...

Sounds like a great backup night! I am sure they loved the special treat and will want to do that more often!

elshmobelsh said...

Sorry you missed your dance night. Maybe you guys can find a community dance place. If you go to a Sr. Citizen dance Jared won't have to feel bad about ripping it up on the floor. ;) I bet you would have been beautiful either way.

Your fam is growing and gorgeous as ever. You look really good A! I'm sorry pregnacy isn't coming as fast as you would like. I'm sorry about the void. My wise Grandma once told me, "everything we experience in life is to teach us patience." I'm coming to realize- she's absolutely right.

What are you interviewing for? On your gmail status?

Mama Apes... said...

Oh well about the prom...you wouldn't of had fun anyways!

sounds like you guys had a eventful evening movies and treats! sometimes that's what best for us all...a full tummy of sugar! :)

Homemade pizzza sounded good untill you mentionted hotdogs on top...gross!

Julie said...

I have always wanted to go back to Prom! All the girls here wore their dresses to church the next day, and I really miss having a reason to get so dressed up and pretty. Next time call me! I will come and be your date and Jared can feed the boys hot dogs and pick up dog poop. We'll show those teenagers a thing or two about being a sexy 30-something mama! (Minus the bumping and grinding!) ;D

Beth said...

Thanks for the invite to your blog. You boys just make me smile by looking at their cute faces.

Sorry you didn't go to the prom. Paul probably wouldn't have gone either. But ice cream and a movie sounds almost as nice.

The Big Sister said...

I am with you- sounds like your night was sooo much better anyway-- its funny how we grow up and find that the things we thought were important have changed so much huh!
Miss you guys- we need a visit :)

Adrianne said...

I sometimes forget - american men don't dance! You need to plan a ward adult formal dance - a reason to get dressed up is really what we all want anyway!