Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sleepover


When I was younger, sleepovers meant playing, "Truth or Dare," or, "Girl Talk." Do you remember those zit stickers? We would make late night phone calls to boys on a landline, go toilet papering, hang out at the mall, and watch movies with popcorn. Whomever fell asleep first got their training bra frozen.

What does a sleepover mean for me, as a 30-year-old mama? Well....it's still a great time!

Jared took Wes and Austin to his Father and Sons campout in Eagar, AZ...I was left with just Isaac. What's a girl to do after she works all week and cleans the house? Well, she goes shopping of course! That was super fun...even if Isaac hated being towed around from carseat to stroller to cart throughout the mall. New York & Company was having a 50% off sale in the entire store...I found some smokin' deals. I think I need a few new items every summer/winter just to keep me feeling happy. Bright colored jewelry and hair flowers are so fresh this season!

My mom came to stay with us for a week and a half from Argentina. We enjoyed her yummy cooking, shopping on line (and taking her to exciting places like Wal Mart and the mall since she doesn't have those in South America), and walking to church. The boys loved reading stories with her, going for walks and speaking with her in Spanish. They share a special bond. She was with me for a few hours until I took her to the airport (so sad to see her leave sooo far away). It was like the old days when she used to take me shopping at Mervyn's in Utah. She will be missed by me. I hope she can come and stay with us every year at least!

I headed over to April Ashton's house after wards. What was meant to just be dinner and chit chat...turned into more and more "projects." With Isaac soon sleeping, I was free to do whatever! We called up Leslie to join in on our party. We tried to do some glitter toenail polish (didn't work quite right, so we settled for some fun nail art), blinging up some new capri's with diamonds, washing and curling hair extensions, talking about fake eyelashes and mustache waxing, painting vinyl boards, eating homemade oreos, surfing the web for swimsuits and pencil skirts, putting together outfits in April's awesome closet of stylish and trendy clothes, trying on bras and shoes, and of course chit chatting. In a house full of males, "girl time" is essential for me where I can catch up on the latest and greatest female fashion.

Even though I am kinda old, I still love to feel young at heart and be a girlie girl 'til 1am! The only difference now from when I was a teenager, is that I can't sleep in! Still gotta get up with kids at 6am to feed them breakfast and change diapers....sigh...It's all worth the sacrifice. I sometimes feel like a frumpy mom, so nights like these are essential to my sanity.

Thanks April for a spontaneous GIRLS night in, and of course Dustin for your finger-lickin' cinnamon rolls for breakfast. I loved spending time with you...it's never enough now that we are both working mama's.

I hope we'll still be doing this when we are 60! What will be "fun" in 2040?

3 comments:

Mama Apes... said...

Oh it was SUCH A fun nite...loved it all! Dont worry honey we'll get the toes to work! I promise!!!

I hope to still have sleepovers @ 60yrs old...but i'm sure we wont be curling/washing hair extensions and trying on fun clothes, we'll be "TAKING OFF OUR WIGS" and GETTING PEDICURES MORE OFTEN!

Toodles said...

OMG... you and your girls have so much fun!! I need to move to AZ so I can have some fun nights with the ladies too (or I guess I could find some friends here in this small town)!

Glad you got some shopping in! You'll look stylin' in your bright colors!!

Julie said...

I want a sleepover! :D