Friday, September 24, 2010

Another move...why not?

People who hear that we are moving AGAIN just shake their heads, give out a little chuckle and make obnoxious comments like, "You guys like to move." Um....who in their right mind LIKES to move? Not us. We never have. Never will. One of the only benefits to moving is you get to de-clutter your junk and deep clean. Who likes the never ending taping up of boxes, living out of a suitcase, eating food from your freezer for months (vs. fresh), cleaning out the house you move out of...and usually cleaning the house you are moving into, losing neighbors and paying "start up" fees for utilities? Oh joy!

We have moved a lot. In our eight year of marriage it's been pretty crazy. Whether it was for a new real estate investment, a job transfer, or business adventure...we have made these moves b/c we have been trying to get a little ahead in life, not b/c we wanted to.

I might as well break it down:

1. Cedar City, UT (Aug-Dec 2002), South Gate Apt
2. Nogales, AZ (Dec 2002-May 2003) Molina house
3. Provo, UT (May 2003-June 2003) Small basement apt
4. Provo, UT (June 2003- May 2004) Small basement apt #2
5. Chandler, AZ (May 2004 - Jan 2005) Spring Brook apts
6. Mesa, AZ (Jan 2005-June 2005) Rental
7. Florence, AZ (June 2005-Sept 2005) First real estate investment home, rented it out
8. Surprise, AZ (Sept 2005-March 2005) First Beazer home, sold it
9. Surprise, AZ (March 2005-June 2005) Rental while waiting for Custom to be built
10. Surprise, AZ (June 2005-June 2006) Custom home (A.K.A. "The Termite-infested Money Pit")
11. El Paso, TX (June 2006-Jan 2008) Apts behind Target
12. El Paso, TX (Jan 2008-April 2008) Country Oaks remodeled home, sold it
13. Gaithersburg, MD (April 2008- March 2009) Rental
14. Surprise, AZ (March 2009- October 2009) Custom home, short sold it (over 300K lost)
15. Surprise, AZ (October 2009-October 2010) Rental
16. UPCOMING HOME IN MARLEY PARK, SURPRISE AZ

I have boxed up and unpacked all the boxes, and Jared has loaded and unloaded the moving vans all but two of these times. It is exhausting! We consider ourselves experts at packing in the breakables inside the linens, or how to stack up the boxes in the U-haul. This next time, we have 1/2 of our house already boxed up from our LAST move, as well as have many of the boxes still in the garage. It's pretty sad when you consider not throwing away boxes b/c you might be moving again sooner than you like.

We will be doing this move in two days. No biggie. Get it in, get it out, get it done. At least it is in the low 100's this time of year, unlike a move we made back in 2005 in the dead of AZ summer.

The home we are purchasing came off of a short sale (better titled, "everlasting sale.") With some hiccups, chokes, gasps and stressful waits, the keys are finally in our hands...as of this afternoon. Jared is right now busy swapping out light fixtures, appliances and throwing out the previous owners junk.

The house has a strong foundation, but boy is it a pig stye! It will take some serious elbow grease to get out all of the built in dust, dirt, food, and stains that are throughout the house. Because of the neglect, we are having to replace all of the flooring and re-paint the house. It will be an exciting project...pics soon to be posted.

So, this week will be in demolotion mode, painting, cleaning and oh yea...boxing up, working full time, keeping up with my kids, cleaning the current rental...and moving out. I am tired already!

13 comments:

Michelle said...

so why the move this time? you guys really are pro's. :) love ya

Beth said...

Umm...I hate moving too. I thought we had a lot with 6 in 5 years, but I am pretty sure you are going to beat us!!

Good luck with everything...projects and all. I do like the Marley Park area so that should be nice for you.

Krazy Kobels said...

Let me know if you need the boys to come and play. I just work on Thursday. Good luck!

Arianne Pearce said...

good luck with it all!! send your boys down here, I will watch them (and feed them pancakes of course).

The Christensen Family said...

WOW!!!! You should be in the World's record book - I'm so sorry. Hope this next place is for a longer time. We are praying for you!!! Thanks for coming that day and spending some time with me - I miss you. xoxo meg

Mama Apes... said...

wow...another changing story, crazy weekend and what happened to the fix it up first for a few weeks that you told me about??
good luck!!! wish i could do more to help...

Boley Boys said...

I'm proud to say that I've been there for 6 of your moves. And we're STILL friends!!! Sure love you guys! Bring on the cleaning!!!

WhitParks said...

2 moves for us in one year...I am scared there may be a 3rd. Moving SUCKS. I am sorry. Thinking of you!

Erika said...

Yikes. We had a similar experience with this most recent move...ie. keep up current house, box up stuff, deep clean, repaint whole house, replace appliances and counter tops, clean up yard and plants, fix broken stuff, and put in light fixtures, etc. etc. in new home, not to mention keeping up with daily life. I do NOT feel for you. It was a beast. Good luck. Should you need counseling...send me an email or something... :)!

Or if you need anything else!

Candi said...

I'm exhausted just reading about it. I'm sure it will be nice to have your own place again...once its all done. I think I need to move, just to clean and de-clutter! Good luck!

Brooke said...

That's exciting that you have a new home to put your personal touches on....but so much work as well! Marley Park is a beautiful neighborhood I'm sure you'll love it there!

Toodles said...

Good luck with this move A! Even with all the experience in moving, it's still hardwork!! Can't wait for pictures!

blair and maisy said...

Hope the move went well! Moving is not my favorite thing. Hopefully you can stay put for awhile this time.