Thursday, July 28, 2011

Superwoman






Superwoman is no longer super. My powers have been compromised by the evil villain; Mastitis. I have been feeling so good these last two weeks, I suppose it was time for something to arise.

Nursing this baby has been an uphill challenge. Painful. Sore. Makes me want to faint with aches.

Then my back started hurting and I got a headache (which I rarely get). The night was spent in hot and cold flashes, more aches and sweat. I thought Jared had turned down the a/c!

By morning I was feeling light headed, dizzy, tingly, swollen, anxious and VERY tender. Nursing you can only imagine was like slicing off my nipples...and shot the pain down to my toes and back up to my head with every suck.

Mastitis. Never had it before. Not sure how I even got it. Called into my OB. Got a prescription. The pain wasn't going away. Leslie, aka hero, arrived at my house just in time to whisk my kids away for the day as I laid in misery. I literally was stuck to my bed with these amazingly strong aches and pains. Sweet Levi was my companion in his carseat next to my bed. I felt every bone in my body throb with every heart beat of blood. Shoving pillows on my back, under my legs, etc only provided a little bit of relief.

I felt like I was in the Twilight Zone. So out of it. Delirious. Weird thoughts.

Around 6pm, Leslie once again saved the day bringing me my boys AND dinner. Seriously. What a good friend. I pulled myself off of the bed and replanted myself on the couch to monitor the kiddos 'til Jared got home at 7pm. I then said Adios and headed right back up to my cave where I could moan in misery and pump in privacy. It was weird to NOT clean up the kitchen, tuck kids into bed and teach my Spanish lesson. But, I just let it all go and didn't take charge. Jared did great.

Today: Day #2. Feeling better. I am able to stand and walk down the stairs. I only had a cold sweat once last night. I continue to pump and nurse...hoping it will get better. My boobs no longer feel like a punching bags, more like swollen balloons. My dad is here to help provide more adult support and my kiddos are once again playing with the Boley's for the morning.

I guess this was God's way of telling me to slow down! No more working out 4x's a week. No more chores. No more running errands. Just be low key. Rest. Relax. Do nothing.

Done.

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Your friend is a hero! We all deserve friends like that and I aspire to be more like that. I hope you get better soon! I am scheduled for 7:30 tomorrow morning.

Allison said...

Ouch. Mastitis is the worst. Had it with Danny on one side last time...totally wipes you out! And then feeding...ouch!!!!!!!!!!! Glad to hear that you're doing a little better and that you had a friend who could help out while Daddy was gone! :D