Thursday, November 1, 2007

Halloween Madness








































I drove to AZ from TX this week for my best friend Arianne Pearce's birthday (which happens to be ON Halloween)...leaving Sunday, with plans to leave again today (Thursday). It has been a delightful visit...her life is non stop with preschool carpooling, dinners to fix, an ulcer to attend to (while being pregnant), pumpkins and costumes to create and the list goes on. Of course we made her favorite homemade pancakes and syrup for her b-day breakfast (she is known as the Pancake Queen to all who know her....willingly will prepare a huge batch made from scratch at any moment...including 1 or 2 in the morning). I enjoyed a lovely visit with my other good friends as well, and it felt as though I had never even left this state~ Good friends are hard to find, especially ones that are this unique. Why can't they all move to El Paso?

The Halloween night was evolving just fine, we had finished dinner and were about to head out the door with our costumes prepared (Austin being a Harley Davidson Street Biker and Wesley being a MotorCross Dirt Biker) and bags in hand when disaster struck....we heard a crash, a scream and our poor Austin face down on the kitchen tile floor. Evidently his high chair tray table came off on accident and so did poor Austin. We rushed over to pick him up, only to find a HUGE GOLF SIZE BUMP had formed in 1.2 seconds on his little forehead. He was screaming in pain and I was scared stiff with this huge formation!

Luckily Dr. Bret (Arianne's medical student hubby) was right there I trust Austin into his hands asking him what was going on...I was very nervous that he might be having internal bleeding, it might affect his brain, that he was going to have some serious issues. I was already thinking about my insurance back in TX, where to go for the ER, how we would get this figured out, etc. Bret said that it was a "hematoma," where the blood vessel expands HUGE until the swelling finally stops in the body. If he started to vomit, seemed disoriented or couldnt' talk, then we needed to start to worry. Other than that, it was just going to turn into a huge black eye/forehead and we would need to of course give him lots of TLC.
I was bawling, Austin was bawling and so was tia Mon Mon (who came to visit). After getting over the initial shock of it all, I realized that Austin was also upset b/c everyone was leaving to go trick or treating. I just assumed that he wanted to stay back and cuddle with me (that is what I wanted to do!) Nope, he wanted to be part of the group too! Off we went, at a slow pace, with me being very cautious of his behavior and actions.

A scary experience for mama Adrienne! I hope that Austin has a fast recovery. I am also including some pics of Austin's potty training days, his 2nd b-day, UTEP game...and I updated my SLIDE show...

2 comments:

Amberly said...

i'm glad austin is ok, that is so scary to watch your kids get hurt, but it is always less serious than we make it out to be, isn't it? the potty picture is my favorite- too darling!

Adrianne said...

So scary, but the bump contributes to Austin's costume. Bruises are tough!! So jealous you are able to get back to visit your friends so easily!