Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Lubbock, TEXAS


We took a roadtrip to Lubbock, TX this weekend to visit my old SUU roommate Amy Merrill Baker. We left late Friday night and got into the Ramda Inn at 1:30am (a solid 6 hour drive if you don't stop, which of course we have to with small children). We then tried to share a king size bed between all four of us. Jared got squished and kicked in the middle, and I got nothing more than 2 inches of space and no covers on the end.

We woke up cranky and tired, but were excited to see Amy and her family. I have never met her little boy Taylor, and our boys got along like brothers. They loved to run around the house, share Spiderman sippies and play with golf clubs.

The city itself is based off a huge Loop of Freeway. I didn't understand the layout of the city while I was there...either "inside the loop" or "outside the loop" was all I got from it. There are no mountains in any direction to help you out, but there were some pretty green parks everywhere.

I was in a bit of culture shock b/c all I saw were white people as well. I guess I have gotten pretty used to my El Paso/Mexico city and I have enjoyed all of the diversity. Surely there are some hispanics in Lubbock, but I sure didn't see them! White folk everywhere!

Brandon (Amy's hubby) cooked us a mean "Texan brisket" that was really yummy....he had to cook it for 12 hours overnight! Talk about dedication! I guess it's a popular dish here in TX, and I can now see why.

More than anything, I LOVED MY CHATS WITH AMY! We hadn't really seen each other in our "mother" role...we had never met each other's children...that's a long time! How fun it is to see your college roommate, who was really into boys and dating back at SUU now involved in time outs with toddlers and chocolate milk. I think we have even more in common now than we did back then; motherhood, education (she teaches high school bless her heart), being wives and involved in the church.

Amy is very knowledgeable about current events and especially politics. She sent me a great email if you can't decide which president you want to vote for:
QUIZ ON PRESIDENTS

Supposedly I am a fan of Barak Obama. I may need to read more up on my debates now.


The ride back always takes longer, and Austin had to go poopies every few hours....but once we'd take him inside the truck stops, he would change his mind! He would choose another stall, or complain that he'd want to be at home, or just toot with no results. Wesley did fantastic with his 5+ movies in our DVD player and his gummy sharks that he got at the gas stations.

Road trips are good for the family, although now it is back to doing laundry and getting back on a sleeping schedul
e.

One last word: Bahama Buck's! Check it out and see why I LOVED IT...

3 comments:

Jana said...

Getting home is always nice, except for all the laundry you create while traveling. :) Sounds like a fun trip. Nothing like visiting with old friends and yummy food!! :) Now come HERE!

Julie said...

You guys are always having an adventure! Poor Wesley, though... there's nothing like the comfort of your own home and bathroom.

Glad you are home safely!

Trimbles said...

Oh Honey, I just dont know if we can still be friends?! You're a DEMOCRAT?!!!!!!!