Sunday, March 22, 2009

So far so good

I made it to Arizona. Left Maryland yesterday after a lovely day in DC. I scouted out the Holocaust museum with Isaac in my Bjorn, while my dear friend Elsje took Austin and her boys to a nearby park. The museum was very graphic, somber, touching and insightful. I can't begin to understand what any of those people went through, or how they have recovered from such horrible circumstances. I am grateful to know that most of them have gone to heaven by now, away from any nightmares that they may have experienced here. They had an actual boxcar that the Jews rode in for days, pieces of hair that had been shorn, their leather shoes that survived the cremation, videos of their liberation and stories of heroes.

The movers loaded up the big Allied truck on Friday. Isaac and I stayed there the entire time, and thank goodness for good neighbors who took my boys for a few hours. It got to be SO COLD INSIDE MY HOUSE with the doors open and the movers in and out. Inside it was 50 degrees, outside was a warm 40!!! Isaac was so cold, and b/c we had packed up our "cold" clothing to come to the desert, it was pretty miserable. I did my best to wrap him up, but he was very fussy.

Jared left early Saturday morning with his dad (who arrived from AZ to caravan with Jared). So, in tote are Wesley and Wrangler. Jared is still driving...was crossing through OK and TX today. We packed up a fun backpack for Wesley for his long drive across the USA. So far so good. I am so glad that I don't have to make that looooon drive. I don't do well on long road trips.

I had my own adventures in the airport. Austin had fallen asleep on the way, so naturally he was a MESS when we arrived. The double stroller accidently got packed up by the movers, so I was definitely short handed to carry in my luggage + kids.

So, this was the scene: one woman, a screaming and crying 3 year old on the floor, a baby in a bjorn crying, one large luggage and two carry ons. I dragged Austin around from line to line, explaining to him what we were doing. He kept crying that he wanted to go home. Asking him to take off his shoes at the security gate was another challenge, and putting the shoes back on...forget it! It was more difficult b/c I had a baby strapped on my chest, so I couldn't carry Austin around or help him out much.

We made the FULL flight to AZ. I am grateful it had no layovers. 5 hours in the plane was long enough. There was not one empty seat, so the air got mucky really quick with all the people. I was in the middle seat with Isaac and Austin was an energetic and figety toddler by the window. Isaac slept the entire time (what a joy that was!!) and Austin moved from floor, to bathroom, to seat, back to floor. He finally fell asleep the last 20 minutes of the flight (of course it was near midnight DC time). He refused to walk off the plane, but was just crying. Poor guy. As a result, I used a wheelchair to get to the baggage claim section! I loaded up with my boys, carry ons, and they wheeled me out of there:)

I met up with my best girls Arianne and Leslie. Having them welcome me in was what I needed. This big transition to AZ is a bit scary at times, especially now that Jared will be gone. But, knowing that I have their support really builds up my own strength.

We of course stayed up painting toe nails, drinking Sonic limeades, and watching American Idol. I got to bed by 3:30am (DC time). Austin also stayed up super late, and today fell asleep on the floor during Primary at church. I hope to get him back on a schedule soon enough!

So, here I am in AZ. The weather is sunny and warm. I will miss the green forests of Maryland, the deer, the fireflies, friends and the many cultures. I loved working with so many different types of people and educating myself more about our nation's capital and the history it has. It was also very refreshing going through an East Coast winter! New experiences and adventures are coming here in AZ...I will post pics of our house as soon as our camera arrives. I do love that it was a delightful 80 degrees today. I was sweating in my "winter" dress at church...it's been so long since I have walked around barefoot or turned on a ceiling fan.

I hope that Jared, Wesley and Wrangler arrive safely!

2 comments:

Julie said...

I am so glad that you are back "home" with your best girlfriends to take care of you. Don't worry too much about unpacking everything! Just enjoy the sunshine and take it easy... Love you!

Trimbles said...

Oh, Im glad you made it. Im sure you will miss the east coast. Im secretly wishing we could go out there for residency, but my subtle hinting isnt getting through to this boy here! I need your new address so I can send you thier announcement... I know, 3 months late. Whatever. :)