Friday, June 26, 2009

What If



Just yesterday I watched a touching story on Oprah about a mom who accidentally left her baby girl in the car where she died from heat exhaustion. The message of the story was how mom's need to step back, take a look at the blessings in our lives and slow down so that we can avoid any major accidents, etc. That could easily happen to any of us if we are too caught up in other things. I know that Isaac is usually the last one to get out of the car when we unload, and I sure hope to never be too preoccupied to forget to unbuckle that baby!

Scary experience this morning. Isaac slept well until about 4am, but when he started to cry it out (refer to earlier post)...I just put my ear plugs in so that I could sleep. I knew that he was crying on and off, but knew that if I went in there...I would just make it worse and enable him that much more. So, I left him alone.

Austin came in shortly there after to sleep with me, so I was half-awake.

By 6am, I couldn't hear him crying anymore, so I went in and checked on him. He had almost suffocated! He had his blankie wrapped all around his head, was silently sobbing and was all sweaty. I felt TERRIBLE.

What if something had happened to him and I hadn't done anything about it? My phone network wasn't working (it is now) last night, so I couldn't have been able to call 9-1-1 or anyone for help. I just imagined myself running through the neighborhood calling out for someone to call an ambulance meanwhile little Isaac could have been unconscious.

It makes me super sick to my stomach to think about the "What if?." Especially after watching that show on Oprah last night, this hit a little too close to home. I don't feel like I take any of my family members for granted (especially my kids and Jared), I am just so grateful to still
have them.

I got down on my knees and said a special thank you prayer to God that He let us have Isaac here in our home, and that He didn't decide that it was time for him to go back. I love that little baby so much. I love all of my boys. My life is centered around each of them right now.

I am committing myself to not be on the computer as much these days. I have plenty of time to be alone after they go to bed, so why not "enjoy" them during the day.

I am so so so so grateful that nothing happened to him. An attitude adjustment once again on how much I do love my boys and how lucky I am to have them in my life...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So scary!

No blankets in the crib, Adrienne!! Rule #1 of safe sleep! Use a sleep sack if you have to!

Glad he was ok!

Mike and Kelli said...

I saw the same Oprah show a while back and it left me feeling sick inside. How often to I only half-way pay attention to what my girls are doing? It was a good reminder to not take them for granted and to plug into their daily activites instead of zoning out because I am so used to the routine. I'm sure you must have been SO scared. Just remember, nobody is a perfect parent and we can't protect our children from every potential danger that is out there (a VERY hard truth to accept). However, we DO have the gift of the Holy Ghost to guide us as we parent and as long as we try to listen that still small voice, we can have faith that the Lord will guide us and we don't have to take on this incredible responsibility alone. Don't beat yourself up over this and DON'T spend too much time thinking about the what ifs (SO hard to do). Just internalize the lesson that is there and move on. You are a FABULOUS mom and your boys are priviledged to have you.

Krazy Kobels said...

How scary! Send Wesley and Wrangler on a run over to our house if you need anything!!! Sweet babies!!!

Erika said...

Yikes! I am glad he is fine and nothing serious happened. I've had some scares myself!

Audrey said...

I think we've all had what if situations happen to our kids and you're right, it does help to jar you to remembrance of how very blessed we are. I'm so glad he was okay. It's tough being a parent isn't it?

Trimbles said...

Jack does that too. He's gotten his big fuzzy blanket on his face a couple times and he cant get it off. But he doesnt just cry. Its panicked screams and kicking and I definitely know what has happened. Its scary. The first time was really scary. Poor Jack. He was so panicked! It could easily suffocate him. I feel your pain.