Sunday, November 10, 2013

Under the Lights Monsoon Wrestling

 
We signed the boys up through Monsoon Wrestling Club through Valley Vista High back in August. Although they have only been wrestling for a few months, it has been a great experience for them. Their first match was at VV and called "Under the lights." They had the matches on the football field!  We were all a bit nervous, now knowing what to expect. The weigh-ins were fun; Wesley at 83lbs, Austin at 50lbs, Isaac at 44lbs. We borrowed some singlets and off they went down to the fields. The parents weren't allowed to go down there, which was frustrating b/c I wanted to communicate with my boys as the hours passed by. Isaac and Austin both wrestled a few times, but Wesley only wrestled one person one time (his division was small), and it took him 4 hours to finally do the match! Wesley took 2nd, Austin placed 3rd (really amazing considering his new level!) and Isaac was in tears when he got beat and didn't place at all (later getting a medal at practice). My mother heart told me my 4-year-old needed me, even though I was in the bleachers. So, I finally went down, got permission to cross over, and the moment Isaac saw his mama, he started crying b/c he was upset at his losses. My sweet boy. Austin and Wesley were there to comfort him as well, but it was a long and kinda confusing night. We all didn't get to bed past 10pm, which was late for prego mama and grumpy toddler Levi.

The wrestling world is exciting and even though it is hard for me to sometimes get my boys there, I know the exercise, dedication and discipline it takes to be there will pay off. I love that it is individual and they don't have to depend on teammates to pass a ball or a coach to put them into the game. They earn what they work for and the skills it takes to be so tough are really valuable. It's a sweaty and hot gym, where Levi gets impatient and I am usually the only female around, but we are doing what we can to participate. Jared and I don't know much about the sport, the call, moves or point system. Jared hardly gets to even see them b/c it's usually on a scout night or he has to study for the GMAT. But, they are involved in a sport and it's affordable for all three. They each feel stronger and especially Isaac LOVES his new muscles and confidence. The coaches keep telling me how great my boys are becoming, how strong and 'studly' they are. It makes my heart proud.










 


 

 

 







 






 



 



 

1 comment:

Allison said...

Wrestling! How fun? Or scary? I'm still a weanie when I see the boys getting rough. Sigh. Cutest little wrestlers I have ever seen though. Thinking about you lots lately as I'm enjoying my boys and my miss Emma. Hope you're doing well!