Sunday, July 1, 2007

My Early Bird
















I have always loved getting up in the mornings. I love the fresh skies, stretching out my legs in my bed and eating a hearty breakfast.Recently though (oh, going on a year now), my oldest Wesley has begun to change my views of mornings.
Wesley has never been a good sleeper. It took him up until he was a year old to finally sleep through the night! He stopped taking daily naps at age 2 (despite whatever I would do enforce it, he would always wake up crying and then not go back to sleep until past 10pm), and has been a stinker ever since~ He hates to go to sleep and every night he cries to not go to bed. When will that change? Has anyone ever known of someone that hates to go to sleep?


Over the past several months though, especially living in the summer months where the sun is up early (4:45am) and we don't have blinds to block out the sun, my son Wesley has been getting up when the roosters do! This morning for example, he got up at 5am and was ready to go for the day. Somehow I crawl out of bed, put on a movie for him, grab him some cereal and chocolate milk and then crawl back into my bed. It doesn't stop there. About 45 min into the movie, he comes yelling back into my room that he wants to change movies and that his chocolatada (milk) is all gone.

By the time I go through the entire routine, just hoping for another 20 min of uninterrupted sleep, I myself am slowly beginning to wake up beyond the point of going back to sleep. This of course all happens while my Jared and Austin are fast asleep in dream world. Somedays are worse though b/c Wesley has been known to also wake up Austin during his morning routine. That does not go over well with Mama!


So, we continue on with our sleepless night, Wesley and I. He wakes up on an average of 5-6x's per week crying in the night for whatever reason (scared of monsters, wants a light, has mocos, is thirsty, potty time, etc). You name it, he has thought of it. He is just as high maintenance as a newborn baby! I hope that he will grow OUT of this stage and learn to appreciate sleep as much as the rest of us do!


In case any others of you are up at 5am, just know that so is Wesley!

3 comments:

Jana said...

Thomas is terrible when it comes to sleeping through the night. Liva just seemed to "get it" at about 3 months old. He does wake up at 5am.
I've heard it has to do with consistent routines... and things have been really up in the air with our move across country and Daddy working from home now. Maybe we will just have to re-evaluate our bedtime routines! I think I'll go read some more parenting books.... :)
I so sympathize with you!

The Hungry Homemaker said...

Wow, I thought Tanner was an early bird, but he has got an hour or so on Wesley. Same routine though, wake up, put in a movie, get cereal and milk, and about an extra 45 min of sleep! Hang in there:)

Jana said...

Oh geez. . . that is hard. I think I would lose it. You are a strong woman! I wish I had some good advice for you, bu I don't. All kids are just so different. And there have been periods of time where it was a mess with my kids and their sleeping and other times where it was a dream come true. Do Wesley and Austin share a room? That was a hard transition for my boys. Good luck. It will end!!!!