Saturday, August 11, 2007

THE ONLY WHITE GIRL AROUND



Now that I have been here in El Paso for two weeks, I definitely feel like I know the area better. I still don't feel like I am actually in "Texas" though. I suppose my images and thoughts of TX used to be somewhat altered b/c I have always envisioned lots of cowboys, BBQ sauce and beans, the large TX state flag being flown everywhere and perhaps a few tumbleweeds blowing along the road. As far aw El Paso is concerned, those stereotypes of TX are simply not true.


Thus I can begin to explain what my feelings are about the diversity here. I knew a border town would bring in a lot of Mexicans, but I suppose I just wasn't prepared for my latest experience at the local YMCA. (Not to mention that last night I went to the mall to go shopping and relax from a long babysitting day...7 kids to be exact...and I bought a dress that will go with some black leggings that I am so excited about! Anyway, every store I went into, they had Spanish music playing and granted it was a Friday night, but the place was packed with ENTIRE Mexican families taking strolls, novios besando and just lots of Mexcian teeny boppers everywhere. I was the minority).


So, the YMCA....most of you know that my aerobic teaching instruction goes back to my roots at the Chandler,AZ YMCA where I got started with cycling, water aerobics, etc. There are so few facilities here for exercise, that the EL Paso YMCA seemed very inviting. I figured I could get a job there part time teaching classes a few days a week, enjoy the membership perks and still get a good work out. My first impressions can be summed up in one word, "ghetto." I don't feel like I am one to judge anyone or any place to be a
certain standard, but this YMCA was very old in design (way too many hallways connecting from room to room), and even the cardio room seemed to be inside a closet. Not too motivating to go sweat off a few pounds!

I was still feeling optimistic though...wanting to take a tour and see what I can offer as an instructor. I was told to come back that evening for a class and to talk to the main aerobic instructor during her class.

"Rhythmic Step." That name alone should have told me I was in trouble. I guess I was too cocky b/c I figured I could keep up with whatever the class was to offer. I have taken so many step classes, that I feel very comfortable with whatever rocking horse/ L Step/ Around the World/ Turn Step pattern that she'd give me. BOY WAS I WRONG!!!!


I walked into the class, running to be on time. But, this is El Paso (Mexico) where everything is always a few minutes late. That gave me some time to check out the other gals taking the class. One thing that I love about Mexicans is their sense of style. Whether they are going out to eat, shopping at the store, or working out...they are dressed to impress! We are talking about full make up, hair done right, bright colors and shoes/accessories to match it all. I saw hot pink shirts, one gal was dressed completely in a peach toned top/bottom, and one Abuela had on a lime green headband to match her lime green scrunch socks and lime green Nike Shox!!

The class got started with Margarita (the aerobic director whom I was to meet afterwards) talking to everyone in Spanish and moving her hips like she was at a club. Before I knew it, everyone was joining along with her "Arriba!" and "Vamanos!" cheers. I was still optimistic....that soon left me...

I immediately recognized that I was the ONLY WHITE GIRL in the class of 20. Not only that, but I was the ONLY WHITE GIRL not singing along to
whatever Spanish boy band was now accompanying us on our workout! Talk about feeling out of place!

Margarita obviously did not think to take her steps slow b/c she was off and dancing away with her "rhythmic" step faster than I can say "hot tamale." I could not keep up with her if I had sat down and taken notes. She was dancing her step class away with moves and steps I had never even heard of. The problem was, was that I was the ONLY WHITE GIRL that was NOT keeping up!!! Everyone else had the moves down like they were a second language to them. I kept fumbling, tripping, jumping and spinning at the wrong time. I was completely mortified of my results. So much for being an aerobic instructor! I kept thinking of my past co-workers at the gym and if they would've been able to keep up with Margarita.

I tried not to look too much like a fool, but I had already been spotted by all and I knew that it was no use in trying anymore. Margarita made the mistake to NEVER TEACH THE STEPS, but instead showed them one time to remind the members of the move...and then left her step to walk around the room and watch everyone else! I didn't know who to even follow! At that point, I just did a lot of knee lifts to keep my heart rate up, even though everyone else was doing mambos and crazy jumps (don't forget that they are all still singing along!).

Margarita kept on yelling out, "Eva Eva!" I figured it was a girl from the class who obviously knew her stuff and she was cheering her on.I kept looking for Eva, but never could spot her out.Was it the lime green grannie or the hot pink mamacita? Turns out, Eva Eva was a dance/step move! I just had to laugh at myself b/c I was so ignorant with this whole experience. I wanted to just put my step away and leave.


I couldn't leave though, especially b/c Margarita might be my future boss??? What would her first impressions be of an instructor like myself who can't even keep up? Not only that, but do I speak Spanish or English to her? That seems to be one of my main issues here as well. I can't assume all speak English here b/c they don't! I think it will be a variety of Spanglish while I am here and hopefully not too many people will question why I have such a foreign accent. It is fun to hear it so often, especially amongst the little ninos... A lot of Mexcians also look fair skinned and blond, so you never really know!

Back to Margarita (unfortunately!). We did talk after the class, in English. She didn't seem too interested in my past experience, but wanted to know my availability and if I was certified. At this point though, I have yet to hear from her (it's been several days), and now that I think of my Y experience, it was nothing like I had hoped for like in AZ. I guess it's hard b/c I have high expectations (coming from such great facilities), and I don't want to settle for what is such a big thing to me.

I have gone running a few times here, huffing and puffing up the mountainsides. I love the weather here (anything is better than a Phoenix summer), but I know that I need to start getting things figured out so I can feel normal again! There is one more place to check out...EP Fitness...I will let you know how it goes!

For now, I am staying away from Margarita...

4 comments:

Jana said...

That is funny. You make me laugh. I went to a step class here in Pittsburgh when I was about 7 1/2 months prego. I just joined the gym and felt very sure of myself. Who can't do step? Ummm. . . ME! But instead of 2o people, there were only 4 of us and I looked like a total idiot!!!! Not just because I was confused about the moves, but I was a bit top heavy too. Yikes. I stood out BIG TIME! Better luck at the next gym. :)

Amy said...

Okay that story was hilarious! Hey by the way I had a dream about RFP Depot last night! Weird!!!

Trimbles said...

HAHA! Lo siento mucho! You painted a pretty good picture though. Im so sorry! but that was funny! Well, maybe the YMCA isnt for you this time. Hopefully something else will work out. Yeah, forget about Margarita... But I think the whole spanish thing will help with your nenes and thier not wanting to speak. You might find it interesting to see how much they really know and if they will talk to thier amigitos en espanol. So dont let up on them now. Its even more important, especially if you plan on staying for a long time. Im crossing my fingers for you... any news on the house sale/buying? Besos--

Adrianne said...

Don't give up on it!!! Personally, I hate classes where they explain every class like it is the first time - because as soon as you learn it you're bored! That's my problem with videos... But no ones knows better than me that change is hard. You'll make it...