Funerals make me cry b/c of all the people that you see cry! Your nose starts to tickle, you feel your throat get tighter, and your eyes start to tear up the minute you see someone else grieving. It is hard to see grown men break down into tears when they talk about their loved ones. How grateful I am RIGHT NOW that I am not burying any of my babies, that my husband is alive and well, and that I am not feeling that black pit of sadness from any of my immediate family members.
Jared's Grandma died on August 15th, 2009 at the lovely age of 92. She raised 10 kids. Lived in a shack with no electricity, running water, plumbing or heating. How did she do it? I feel so spoiled thinking about all the things I enjoy as a stay at home mother of just 3. What a privilege it is to scrub my toilets, stock up my cold fridge after a crazy Wal Mart trip, take a lukewarm shower, and turn on a nightlight for my boys. How does anyone raise 10 kids??? She had courage and guts b/c her husband died when she still had 3 at home, over 40 years ago.
We spent the weekend in Show-Low and Eagar, AZ. Funerals are a time when families can get together and really reminisce about childhood memories and things that bring you close. Jared did a great job reading Grace's life history and being a pallbearer. I didn't know a lot of the relatives, but anyone could feel the great love that this Wilson family has for one another. A lot of them are not members of our church, and I am just so grateful for the knowledge that we have of life after death. It hurts, but it doesn't feel permanent. There is hope that we will be together again.
I only knew Grandma Wilson in short spurts. I wish I could've spent more time with her (isn't it always like that?) She was one to always have bright red lipstick on, her red hair done up on top of her head, and a fiesty "do it yourself" attitude that I am sure she gained by raising her children alone. Onry is another word that described her.
In Globe, AZ is one of Jared's favorite Mexican Restaurants. Funny enough, it is called, "Burger House." They are always packed with people in the tiny joint, and closed on Sundays...so, it's been a few years since we have made it when passing through. Jared came here with his dad during sports tournaments. Super cheesy quesadillas and they even put butter on their chips!
The best part of the trip is that we got to have Jared "home" with us for 5 days straight!
1 comment:
Grace, not Gracie (Gracie was Tim's mom)
Post a Comment