Friday, August 14, 2009

School update





Wesley has two weeks down into kindergarten and the transition has been great. It helps carpooling with his buddies Mason and Chloe Ashton. Each morning they get dropped off here at the house and that is motivation for both Wesley and Austin to get ready so that they can play before leaving for school. This morning Wesley surprised me: at 6:45am he walked into my room dressed, with his bed made, and ready for breakfast! What a surprise! Shirt tucked in, belt put on, and he even had on an undershirt. What a big boy! If only it was that easy every day!

Wesley did the funniest thing at school yesterday. I asked him how lunch went (since he doesn't give me many more details beyond food, a few interactions with friends and some songs). He told me that he didn't eat any of the lunch I had packed. What? He then told me that when the man came by with tickets, he raised his hand. If you raised you hand, you got a ticket for "hot lunch." Wesley told me that he at first was joking, but then decided to get one anyway. So, he just left his "cold lunch" in the bin, and went ahead with the "hot lunch." I asked him what he ate. He then told me he got a burrito, broccoli, an apple and chocolate milk. What a big boy! I would've loved to have seen him in that lunch line with his little tray, feeling so grown up as he decided what to eat and then walking over to sit down at a table. I told him that it's O.K. if he wants hot lunch, but that he has to tell me so that we can pay for it. He told me, "you don't have to pay mom, you just raise your hand at get a ticket." My sweet boy is learning things all on his own!

We have also had some innocent conversations about kids that are overweight, as well as those that say the Lord's name in vain. I want him to be non-judgemental, but also respectful for what we teach here at home. He's such a good boy and I sure do miss him here at home. I love his sweaty kisses when he gets home, and he is always so anxious to run over and love on Isaac. Austin is also lost without his older brother around to entertain him. He follows me around the house with never ending questions, asking for attention and wondering when Wesley will come home. I am practicing lots of patience with my sweet 3-year-old and love how well they play together when they are reunited every afternoon.


Austin has started up preschool too. It is only 2x's a week for a few hours, but enough to give me some time to run errands with just one boy. His first day, he was all smiles on his way to the house, excited about his new Nikes and Spiderman "packpack."

But, as Jared and I started to leave, the separation tears started to flow. I took a few pictures, and that made things even worse. Jared talked with him for a bit and things smoothed over really quick. We even took a "posed" picture of a mean face from Jared (just like the original one that we took with Wesley last week) for fun. Austin really enjoys preschool now, even though I have no idea what they even do in there! All I care about is that he socializes, feels important, grown up, and learns a few letters along the way. He will have two full years before Kindergarten.Jared let Austin drive home with the steering wheel as we entered our neighborhood. Austin was thrilled! I think the scenery tells you a lot about how far out in the desert we really do live. Just look at how Austin is literally turning the corner, and how nervous Jared looks as he helps out.

My boys also are continuing their superhero phase. Everyday, Austin and Wesley change who they are. Between Wolverine, Iceman, Human Torch, Abomination, Hulk Smash, Superman and Muscle Man...I have a hard time keeping them all straight as they switch them up every 5 minutes.

They are posing as Wolverine, with pencils for claws.



They also love flexing muscles and eating popsicles with their buddies Tallin and Colt Hall.


Isaac is also sitting up on his own now, at almost 7 months old. Right alongside his brothers, he loves to watch movies! Poor baby is also feverish, slobbery, full of boogers and irritable as he starts the long process of cutting teeth.

8 comments:

Allison said...

Glad that he's doing better in school! I have to decide if we'll do the preschool thing (last year Thad and Sam did a Daddy/Son one and Sam didn't like it so we pulled out after 4 or 5 months). We'll see what happens! :)

The Gearharts said...

Sounds like you are busy as usual but it is definitely nice to have a little bit of free time on your hands...enjoy.

Boley Boys said...

So funny about Wesley getting his lunch ticket. Today (moments after I read your blog), Barik came home with his full lunch. "Barik, what did you eat for lunch today?" "Pizza." And thus followed the same conversation you had with Wesley. Too funny.

Arianne Pearce said...

What a big boy! I loved reading this one because it brings back so many memories. What a precious boy Wesley is. It's so great that you are documenting this. I remember Cole talking about how it made him feel like he was eating at a restaurant!

Brooke said...

I'm glad they are doing so well in school...how funny about the school lunch!

Michelle said...

oh! i love the update, and just look at Austin's amazing eyes, but all puffy w/ tears. Poor kid! He is so adorable. How exciting that Wesley is growing up so fast. I know what you mean about the conversations dealing with the lords name in vain, and other situations. I'm trying to explain things with sensitivity, but also explain what we believe is right or wrong - even if everyone else doesn't think the same way. It gets complicated! I love all the pictures. Your post about bedtime sounded very familiar, but I feel like Damon makes me as frustrated as your 3 make you! Good thing I've spaced these 2 out! love ya!

Michelle said...

okay - i just re-read my comment....It's not really exciting that Wesley is growing up fast....I meant exciting that he's doing so well in Kindgergarten, but sad that he's growing up so fast. anway...

Amy said...

Oh I am right in the middle of that! Teething, boogers, drool...oh the drool!!! Hang in there!