Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Back in the classroom

Several thoughts came to me today as I stepped back into the classroom for my tutoring job and after school programs at ACA.

Number one: I feel very inadequate in math. I didn't know what a rhombus, trapezoid, acute triangle or percentage of 1/6 was. I was asking the students to come up to the board to show me their answers, just hoping that they were right. Boy did I feel like a dummy! I sat alongside another girl for tutoring, hoping that she had answers in the back of her book b/c I surely didn't know her 5th grade math. It goes to show that if you aren't using something, you forget it. I need to better prepare myself. I sure hope my kids' teachers are better prepared then I was today!

Number two: I really want my boys to be excelling in school. But, what does it take? There is a huge difference in the students that take time to write their names correctly, that pay attention, that don't talk out of turn (or shall I just say are respectful when talking to you), and do as they are asked. One girl, Maylana was so on task and very smart. She did exactly as I asked her, could answer any question and even showed other students how to log onto their computers. I want my boys to be the smart ones too!

Number three: One on one work really does make a difference. For the hour I sat with one student, she improved on her handwriting, spelling and punctuation. I want my boys to have good handwriting and spelling. I know that is something that comes with not just practice, but also reading. I don't feel like I am very book smart in so many areas; math, geology, history, science, etc. But, doesn't mean my boys can't be!

Number four: I want my kids to have any opportunity that they want, and education is going to get them there. I want them to automatically consider going to college, a trade school or into their own business. How grateful I am for my own education (as inept as I feel it is now, or how much I lack as an educator!), and how it has provided me opportunities to work.

I am grateful for all my experience in teaching, I just need to get back into the swing of things so that I don't feel so inadequate now that I am back in the saddle.

2 comments:

Toodles said...

Oh, the math! I tutored my little brother last year in Algebra and it was harder than I thought. All the formulas, etc... ouch!That is great you're getting back to doing some teaching!

I'm sure your boys will not miss too many opportunities in their lives with you as their mama! You are teaching them well.

Clark Family said...

If you have any secrets to make your 1st grader love reading and writing let me know! Congrats on the teaching gig.