Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Weaning

Isaac is very upset these days. He is being weaned from his mama. After any nap (these days it's usually only one quick hour nap), he would always wake up and I would immediately cuddle up with him and nurse him. Not any more. He now wakes up, wanting to have a snack and snuggle, only to be disappointed. I admit that I miss those sweet moments where he is in my arms and I am giving him my "medicine milk." I feel like he is congested all over again b/c he is not receiving those same nutrients. I am also concerned that he will start to thin out.

I started giving him whole milk in a soft sippy. He goes through about one sippy a day of milk. It's hard to tell if that is the same amount of milk I produced for him since he never took a bottle.

It's not all over though. I wake up with him around 5:30am to nurse (that one is going to be the hardest one to quit b/c I will have to let him cry it out until 7am). I also have been giving him another feeding before dinner time (I figure that he can get another good amount in before eating, as well as before bedtime).

So, how much longer do I allow this nursing to go forward? I am ready to have independence from my sweet chunk, but I am obviously not ready to completely let him go! His 6 teeth are also a little prickly on the boob.

It's sad to see your babies grow up so quickly.

We are only a few more days until his big 1 year birthday. Yet, he is front facing in his carseat, now he is drinking whole milk, he is in size 4 diapers, and he can crawl up and down stairs. My baby is now a toddling boy.

4 comments:

Mike and Kelli said...

When I weaned Molly I was told the slower the better and not to cut out more than one feeding a week. So that's what I did and it was a very smooth transition. Hang in there! Does your pediatrician's office have a lactation consultant you can chat with? Mine helped a ton!

Michelle said...

he's so cute! 6 teeth, and size 4 diapers?! It sounds crazy, but i can almost guarantee that Brixton won't be too far behind him by the time he's 1. I just bought my second costco box of size 3's, and he's only 7 months, and almost has 4 teeth. love little babies! (yes, the teeth hurt!)

Unknown said...

Last night Summer bit me when she was first latching on. It hurt like CRAZY. I didn't realize I was bleeding until I switched sides and there was blood all over her mouth and my boob! So....I think we are done. Which sometimes I think will be a relief, but then it makes me sad. Why do babies have to grow up?

Clark Family said...

Hey! Your story of weaning Isaac sounds so much like mine! Gavin nursed until he was 16 1/2 months old because I had a hard time giving up the after nap nursing time. He's so grouchy when he wakes up...it was the perfect transition activity. Anyways, we finally got through it....now that Jeff's home. Good luck with it all!