Friday, January 22, 2010

SuperNanny

Jared went out for a movie tonight, so I had my entertaining Supernanny show all to myself. I always enjoy watching the episodes b/c it makes me feel like my little boys are not as crazy as some of the kids I see on TV. I think her techniques and suggestions can only help us with parenting. For example; eating consistent meals together as a family and at the same time everyday (which we do at least 5-6x's a day, especially now that Jared is around more. I have enjoyed making up the meal menu and creating dishes to share), or having your children finish their sippy cup at the dinner table (to stay hydrated), and of course her time outs are great.

Tonight Wesley had a power struggle with papa. I know he was overly tired (came into my bed at 6am b/c he was cold and played hard from that time on). For whatever reason, he got his feelings hurt during teeth brushing and started getting physical with Jared. Jared did a great job handling the situation. Parenting is hard, and we don't get a handbook to let us know the do's and do not's with each child. Wesley is more sensitive with words and can cry deep tears. Austin is more of a whiner and doesn't care about physical pain or giving up privileges. We are still trying to figure out how to discipline them in the way that is most effective to their needs.

Overall, especially after watching Supernanny, I think my kids are on a good track right now. They do eat their food at the dinner table, don't use cuss words, don't hit or punch, and are pretty respectful. Of course they have their meltdowns, can be very annoying, tattle tell and demanding...but, I love 'em! It's right now that will determine what kind of teenagers and adults they will be, so hopefully we can raise them to be grateful, clean, and honest boys.


3 comments:

Trimbles said...

OH, sweetheart, your boys are darling. What I cant figure out is why you let J go to the movies without you! That would NEVER happen here. I like going too much :)

elshmobelsh said...

I have no doubt you are doing a wonderful "supermommy" job! I can't believe little I is 1. How time flies. He's adorable!

Brooke said...

I like watching that show every once in awhile too.... My biggest struggle is with consistency and following through. If I can do great at those two things it seems life is much easier for us all!

BTW my legs are already burning from your class this morning....ouch!!