

I took Jared ballroom dancing last night! I wish he loved it as much as I do. He is a good sport about getting ready, driving the 45 min. to get there and even putting a pleasant face on.
We arrived at Fat Cat Ballroom dancing, which I had been researching on line. It was a perfect setting for us: only $5 for two lessons (each dance changes per weekend), and then a dance party after wards. Last night we learned the Tango.
Switching up partners in a large circle is how it takes place. That way you have the opportunity to meet new people, learn from better dancers, and even help out those who are beginning.
I had so many flashbacks to my BYU ballroom dancing workshops as a youth. This is exactly what I did for years! Words like, "rotate, find a new partner, the next heat up, tracking, promenade, posture, leading, and break" were like music to my heart. I have missed dancing immensely. Without a partner, all of my ballroom dancing moves seem to just go to waste! It's like knowing how to play a sport, but not being able to b/c of an injury. Your desires are there, you love the motions and music, but can't do anything alone.
I don't think I was ever really good at dancing; I lacked the flexibility, money, and body to really draw a crowd. But, I sure did put forth my best effort with a big smile, lots of practice, and heart. Just looking at my old pictures reminds me of how insecure I felt compared to other girls and how I always wished to be selected for the solos, front spot, or partner routines. I usually had to ask the boys to compete with me, and only the ones that were left over from the other "better girl dancers." We would practice a few times a week, but didn't have a lot to back us up (expensive costumes or paid choreography from a professional). I never placed bronze, silver or gold in any event...ever. But, I sure did try! I remember feeling that excitement whenever we would approach the dance floor, under the big flood lights of the auditorium, trying desperately to smile and impress the judges while dancing to the Jitterbug on the loud speakers. If we made it past 1 or 2 heats, that was always an accomplishment. I never really thought we'd go far, I just always dreamed of it.
Those were the days. It's hard to move on sometimes! It's hard to not realize your dreams of something you used to do and love... Anyone who ever wanted to be a professional singer, writer, athlete or performer can relate.
Jared did a great job leading me and learning along the way. I kept asking him why he wasn't smiling from ear to ear (like I was), and he kept saying, "look around. No guy is smiling b/c he is trying to remember the next move." It was true! Us ladies have the easy part: we just follow.
After learning the Tango, I chit chatted with a few of the instructors there and felt like I was coming home. I danced 6 + years from high school to college. We were only 1.5 hours into the night, but Jared was ready to leave and catch a movie! No way!
I convinced him to stay for a bit longer as we danced to a variety of ballroom music. The cha-cha, waltz, hustle (we sat out for that one), samba, and salsa were a few. I was even asked to dance the Foxtrot by a stranger and I was thrilled! I felt like I was floating on air as he whisked me away around the dance floor. I felt like a princess in a fairytale as we were in sync together. I was surprised at how easily the dance moves came back to me, considering it has been YEARS since I danced a real foxtrot.
Oh how I would LOVE to do real lessons, competitions or be on a performing team. I was telling Jared that perhaps when the boys are older and out of the house, it is something that we could do. (He kept telling me that I wouldn't commit him to doing something 30 years from now. But, I just argued that it was a dream of mine...and could really be fantastic! What else can we do in between missions and grand kids, but dance!)
Whether the guy be sweaty, tall, old, hairy, fat, bald, handsome, short, or smelly...if he can DANCE and lead...I want to be his partner! I loved moving my hips once again, thinking about the right posture and training I had had from college and keeping my head aligned to his.
I compare it a lot to why I teach aerobics. Although they are very different, I still can satisfy the craving of "performing" when I am in front of a class. Between the sweating, the upbeat music, mirrors and stage presence, there is a lot that goes into being an aerobic instructor. The satisfaction you feel after finishing up a great class is very rewarding, although nothing can compare with those crazy costume changes, stage make up, cute partners and butterflies that comes with ballroom dancing in front of a crowd.
This might be why I have THREE BOYS. I have THREE future partners! You bet I am going to teach them how to dance! Climb up onto my toes boys and I will lead you through the moves. If your papa doesn't enjoy the ballroom stuff, maybe you will? I can't wait 'til you are a bit older an and a bit taller. Will you dance with your mama?
So...maybe this is something we could do every 3 months? I would LOVE to go out dancing regularly, but unfortunately, as much as Jared is a great dancer...he doesn't share the ballroom itch like I do. I will take him anyway. It is a great way to connect as a couple and share something different together.
Now I just need to convince Jared that I need dancing heels!

6 comments:
So much fun! I know how you LOVE that stuff. It's too bad Jared doesn't enjoy it more, because he is such a great dancer as well! I say pursue it! Make him go and he will have fun in the end.
I loved this post bc I have your same feelings at times. More often than I would like to admit. Not about dancing...I WISH I could dance, but about performing. Sometimes I long so strongly to be performing that I have to remind myself of the wonderful blessing I have in my family.
Recently I watched the movie, marly and me again and there is a part where Jennifer Aniston has her second baby and is so tired and has given up her strong career as a reporter and she is telling her husband all that she has sacrificed...things that made her who she was, but that she made the choice and she doesn't regret it, just misses her old self sometimes. I feel that way, but I hope that someday I will have time to do some more of the things that I love and that I will gain a greater appreciation for the woman I am becoming through my children. Maybe in the end, find a somewhat different identity.
I'm so glad you got to get back to ballroom! Your husband is awesome for humoring you. I need to make Trevor humor me...I have been so lucky to keep using it--teaching ballroom after school at my junior high. Let me tell you how fun it was to teach cha-cha seven months pregnant! Oh it really is too bad you can't come to the reunion--don't you live out of state? We're going to dance all night with people who know how! My poor husband will be so bored! (I might just leave him home!) By the way, if you want to order shoes, try www.danceshoesonline.com. Their shoes are pretty cheap-about 58 a pair plus shipping. That's where I get the shoes for my ballroom team. You can even click on "overstock" and see if you can find a pair that fits and is cute for much cheaper. Some of my students have done that. They aren't super high quality, but unless you are going to be dancing constantly, who cares? (Oh, and if you get the latin shoes, order a size 1/2 smaller than your street shoe size. Trust me--you need to.)
Adrienne! You were always a fantastic dancer! I am having a hard time believing that you felt like you weren't 'one of the better girls'! You were always showing me up, anyway ;) Thanks for inviting me to your blog!!
Shannon
I need to read your blog more often, I am terrible at that. I so did not know about your race and your miscarriage and you totally sat and chatting with me forever at the 4th of July! I am so sorry to hear about that. You are a pretty amazing woman though, still ran that race.....amazing! Next time you are in Eagar you better call us!
It's strange sometimes to look back at what we used to be able to do...I found some old papers, poetry and essays I wrote in HS and thought, huh!...I did that!? I guess we forget the other parts of us that aren't the mom parts. It's interesting. Every season of life is different. I loved learning and growing up...but I do love being a mom too and I suppose both of those different parts make me a more well-rounded person when you put them together.
And I cannot dance either or sing...but wish I could...
Also, here's a link for the jam tart recipe...it's super simple and easy for the kiddies.
http://yellowpearphoto.blogspot.com/2008/06/jam-tarts.html
Post a Comment