It's 4am. I roll out of bed to get changed into my workout clothes for a long 10 mile run. I go check on my boys (as I do every morning) to re-tuck in and fill up Isaac's humidifier.
As I am bending over the tub to fill up the humidifier, I reach down to lift it back up...DON'T bend my knees, and as a result throw my back out. It felt like a pinch, or a strain, but nothing too serious.
Since I am fully awake by now, knowing I can't fall back asleep...despite my minor injury...I decide to go for my run. What a mistake!
An hour and a half later, I am still throbbing with pain in my back, and now I feel nauseous.
Go to work. Sit down. Stand up. Bend over.
Come home. Tie boys' shoes. Unload dishwasher. Carry Isaac on hip. Swap out laundry.
Life continues...even with a back injury.
The result? It is now Wednesday, 6 days later, and I have a serious back sprain.
I tried to take it easy over the weekend. I got a priesthood blessing on Sunday. I was super crippled and bent over all during school Mon/Tuesday, having a very hard time maneuvering around the classroom. One student offered to push me around in my chair!
My students kept asking, "What's wrong Mrs. Wilson?" Administration, staff, other students and even parents started seeing my crooked body and were concerned. Just stop asking questions! I got so tired of all of the attention. Made me feel incompetent.
I went to the chiropractor for an adjustment on Monday. He popped me back into place (it's always so nerve wracking right before he pops you...makes me feel so jumpy and I am always so shocked by the outcome). I then received a "muscle therapy." It really was just an INTENSE massage. Tears came. Goosebumps surfaced. Felt great....until the night. I slept terribly from all the aches and pains that came from that massage...which lasted throughout the following day.
Tuesday morning I was in tears on the floor, not knowing which was worse; my back or my tummy. Sweet Wesley came over to give me a massage on my back.
I pulled myself together to go to school. It was a wash of teaching. Couldn't move around as I like to do and it was pathetic. I prepared lesson plans for the sub for today....
Which brings me to now. I sit at the computer after having spent the day at lunch with my dad and Isaac (a Thai cuisine that was so tasty...peanut dressing over a salad and pat thai noodles), and an Italian bakery. I have watched several movies, made a chicken tortilla soup for dinner, and now I am wondering if my body is okay to go to school tomorrow???
Oh dear back, please get healthy again soon. I miss my mobility and straight posture. I miss my daily workouts and effortless sleeping positions. Please return to me!
4 comments:
I'm so sorry!! I hope you feel better soon.
I really hope it gets feeling better soon. I'd send my PT husband your way if we lived closer. He'd help for sure. He always helps me!
Ouch... sorry girlie!! I hope you get feeling better soon! Back aches are no fun at all.
oh Adrienne! I hope you're okay! and 10 miles!!!!! dang girl! nice job!
Post a Comment