Friday, July 1, 2011

Bandaid Breath Baby Boy

Oh Where O Where has my little boy gone? Oh Where O Where can he be?

All I have left after this surgery is a needy, crying, moody child. I am sure a sweet boy will come out eventually, but man, I am ready to give up!

We got up at 4:30am (Wes and Austin were with the Ashton's) and took Isaac to the John C. Lincoln memorial hospital for his Tonsil/Adenoid removal. The hardest part of the morning was not letting Isaac EAT. He kept begging for it and wailing himself onto me to look for food (since I represent a refrigerator in his mind).

The surgery went perfectly, according to Dr. Osbourne. Just wish the recovery was the same story. We spent the entire day comforting, coaxing and loving on Isaac....and he wanted nothing to do with food or drink for the entire day (let alone medicine taken orally). We took him for walks in the hallway (carrying him) and also into the play room for the kids. It was a very slow day as far as patients, so we had full attention from the nurses on staff.

Isaac only slept 30 min. the ENTIRE DAY...from 5am 'til 10pm. A LONG DAY for mom and dad. Plus my big belly. Plus the nasty food that I ate (since Isaac didn't eat anything). I can't complain too much b/c I was starving, but the mac 'n cheese and soggy grilled cheese weren't cutting it for this big mama.

I went home at 8pm and put Wes and Austin to bed, missing Jared and Isaac. Our first day together the boys were so excited to be reunited with Isaac. We all hit up Costco where Isaac ate an entire hot dog (dock dog as he calls it). It has just been a challenge ever since to get him to eat. I am sure he is nauseous from all the medicine flowing in his body, plus recovering with nasty smelling scabs in his mouth. His breath smells like cat poop...especially when he is screaming in my face.

We have had daily struggles (ever 3 hours) to get him to take medicine...literally holding him down like a prisoner and slowly squirting the meds into his cheek (b/c he always spits it out during this process). Just last night we were up doing this at midnight! Then I got up with him 3 more x's so the medicine wouldn't lapse. Jared loses his patience with Isaac and they have some serious swats and chat amidst the medicine turmoil, and I usually sit and cry with Isaac b/c I feel so bad.

It's exhausting. I miss my son. I feel bad for him and his lack of appetite or drink. We are desperate for wet diapers so he can stay hydrated! We also allowed him to go swimming two x's this last week, which is a big NO NO since he has the tubes. He has been tugging on his ears and we feel terrible that he got his ears wet. What else are we to do when it is 115 degrees outside? No swimming? :(

It's so hard to tow him up and down the stairs with my huge belly, hear his screaming and yelling and not knowing WHY he is so mad/hurt/frustrated??? Every time I hold him or put him on my hip (can't do the front hold at all), I contract and it's so uncomfortable. There is NO ROOM for him to be on my lap for comfort...and I am so dang hot these days.

I want to give up.
















1 comment:

Boley Boys said...

It's SO frustrating when our toddlers can't communicate! You're doing a great job giving him lots of patience, love and attention.