Who knew that going to my 10 year Hillcrest High School Reunion would be so rewarding and fulfilling? I have always considered myself to be "outgoing," but sometimes I feel like I am more of a mellow mama these days (due to the fact that I have yet to make any friends in El Paso!). So, for me to go out and actually socialize, communicate, relate, understand, and BLAB away at old strangers and acquaintances for hours was very enjoyable! I told Jared to stay home for this trip simply b/c I knew that he would not enjoy the fake and cheesy conversations that happen between strangers' spouses. I felt sorry for the spouses that were there b/c I didn't want to talk to them either! Michelle Clark (my friend since 8th grade) and I hooked up so that we could make our appearance together. We were a bit nervous to be honest, not knowing what to expect or even what to wear! We were sure to put on dabs of perfume and pretty make up to hide any insecurities that might arise during this "back to the future" adventure. We walked in, we put on our name tags, and then I told myself, "let the games begin!"
From 6:30pm until 12:00am I did not stop talking and socializing like a little busy butterfly! We were the last ones to leave, and only b/c they were putting up the tables and giving us mean looks at the restaurant. I was amazed and relieved at how 10 years of maturity really does affect a high school teenage population. A lot of the "popular" (or so I thought during 1997) people were there, but this time around (in 2007), it didn't matter one dang bit! I talked to those people, realized their own experiences were normal and enjoyed learning about what kind of people they had become as well.
There were no boundaries or lines between popularity and losers this time around. You were who you were and that was it! Another thing I learned was just how much the guys DID NOT MAINTAIN ANY SORT OF HIGH STANDARD! They were either fat or bald! No joke! There are a few exceptions to this rule (and if you are one of those guys reading this now, know that I probably mean YOU), but I was amazed at how the guys just seemed to let themselves go. Perhaps their wives are to blame, b/c they need to take on that role of preparation if their hubby is not intuitive to fashion trends.
When Jared goes to his reunion next year, I know that special efforts will be made into making him continue to look like a hottie! The gals on the other hand, DID look beautiful and fit! What is wrong with that picture? There were a few gals who had some baby weight to lose, but that is a great excuse. What about those guys with the double chins or lame tapered pants? No excuses! (There were two good looking guys, but they happened to be single and perhaps even gay or metrosexual for sure).
I secretly wanted those "popular" girls that I knew back then to all of a sudden be ugly ducklings, just for my own sense of security. Did not happen. But, that's okay b/c I know that in my own way, I also wanted to look my best and let others know that I am doing my best to still be "posh" if you will! Utah girls still are beauties.
I felt the need to tell all the p
I really was interested in what people were doing with their lives and how they got to where they were now. I don't see people at the grocery store, on the streets or at parties now. So, this was my one opportunity (for at least another 10 years) to really just fill my bucket with good ol' Hillcrest m
I am off to bed, I didn't get to bed until 3:30am! My kids were up and ready to go at 7:00am...Yikes! That was obviously another "no no" for a mama b/c today I felt like I had a hang over (obviously I don't drink) and I was a walking and irritable zombie for my kids. Do read on to learn about our plane ride and enjoy the pics of Abuela Guzman and the grandbabies enjoying their visit together in SLC....
5 comments:
hey girl! Your blog made me even more sad that I didn't make it to the reunion...but I am glad that we got to chat about it. Miss you and love you!
Wow, Sounds like the trip was a wild one!!! I hope the reuinion was worth it. I didnt bother going to mine. I went to the 5 year. I think Im good till the 25th. :O. Im glad you had fun. How's your mom? She looks great. Did she take the kids for the night?
Thanks so much for the birthday wishes and sweet note! I couldn't stop laughing when I read about all the guys at your reunion letting themselves go. You are hilarious! I hope I haven't turned into a blob. :) My ten year reunion is this year, but I haven't heard anything about it yet. I guess I'll have to wait and see. I hope all is well!
You made me regret that I missed my 10 year reunion last year. I would've been the one to plan it since our class president was in jail!!! Winner huh? I was pregnant though and we just didn't have the funds for me to get it off the ground. I guess what did get planned was pretty small. OH well, I guess there's always a 15 year get together.
How fun! And you look great!!! What do you do?! :) Did you ever get in touch with Bridget or Annie?
Post a Comment