Tuesday, September 11, 2007

MOPS


I decided that my own efforts of making friends was going absolutely nowhere. I had attended the local storytime at the library (thus the homeless man blog), several church meetings, the ghetto YMCA aerobic classes, and even an LDS institute class at UTEP> where has it gotten me? Still friendless! Imagine that~

So, I took my efforts elsewhere, to the Coronado Baptist church to be exact "with signs everywhere that say, 'Go Jesus!' or 'Let His light shine, etc." MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) is a national organization for mamas like myself that need to meet other mamas out there...in a Christian setting (just a bonus), who have activities, workshops and NURSERY provided! Austin was well taken care of at the first meeting, complete with a sticker on his back to announce to every child taker that he was potty training and would need extra help.

I was nervous to go alone, joining a room full of 20-25 women, but I just had to have confidence in myself and just take things easy as everyone was bustling around and socializing. Needless to say, we had a great visit...complete with a yummy breakfast, ice breaker games, an into to the program and upcoming events. ALL WHAT I WAS HOPING FOR! Count me in! I may check out another group Mothers and more.

So, for any of you that may ever be in my same situation (heaven forbid you move 12 times in 5 years, from state to state and leave your best friends behind in AZ with your husband working 6 days a week and no family around!!), for sure check out these organizations....I am excited! Hoepfully I can find a friend now...

5 comments:

Steph H said...

Hey Adrienne!! I found your blog from Melina's blog and I'm so glad to be back in touch with you! Do you remember me? Steph Brown from EFY? I'm getting married in 3 weeks and I was just tracking down old friends (Kim Gillespie, Katie Draper, etc) to send them invites. I'd love to send you one too (even if you're in El Paso). Email me at slaphappysteph@yahoo.com and then I can send you an invite to my blog too. Your family is beautiful!! I'm glad you and Jared are so happy!

Trimbles said...

Wow, I know you've been lonely. So hopefully these groups will be good! I cant believe there's nobody in the ward even... No one our age? Well, you're so resourceful, I have no doubt you'll be that social butterfly again in no time. :) Te extrano.

Jana said...

You are out of control. It has only been like a day and you think you are a loner. YOU AREN'T!!! :) But that group does sound fun. And with your energy, they will love you!!! Let me know how it goes. Maybe I should look into it.

Diana said...

Yea! Friends are a priceless commodity for us SAHM. I'm so glad you are feeling positive about the possibilities. I'm just like you, if I don't have friends in "like a day" (hasn't it been a month?) I start feeling gloomy and get a lot more frustrated with my tasks as a wife and mother. Good luck!

Adrianne said...

I am so impressed with you. It is seriously HARD to make new friends. Good luck!