Dear Adrienne
In 15 years, I want you to read this again when you are in your mid 40's (2025 ish). By then, your boys will be in their late teens and early 20's. There are a few things that I want "our" boys to know how to do and be:
1. Know their way around the kitchen. I want them to have a few recipes that they can easily make. I want them to know how to make homemade bread, bake brownies, grill on the BBQ and whip up some pasta dishes.
2. Chores: laundry, dishes, keeping bedroom clean (including making their beds, clothes picked up), scrubbing the bathrooms and mopping floors.
3. The Waltz. They need to know how to lead a girl onto the dance floor, maintain good posture and with confidence show her how to move around in the box.
4. Piano. Basic sight reading, church hymns, and anything else they like.
5. Car mechanics: how to change oil, fill up air, check for leaks and the 101 on brakes (Jared will be in charge of that department).
6. Service. I want them to know how it feels to help someone else move into a new home, or mowing the lawn for a neighbor, or helping out at a volunteer unit. I plan on exposing them to as many things as we can do as a family. Christmas caroling? Plates of cookies? Babysitting?
7. Work Ethic and Money. Summer jobs, weekend paper route (will newspapers even be around by then?), PT jobs after school (if not too involved in sports), earning extra money through allowance. I want them to understand responsibility, balancing a paycheck, discipline and the value of a dollar. Teach them about saving money, importance of a credit and using debit cards.
8. Affection. I want lots of hugs, kisses, smiles and wrestling to go on para siempre!
9. Grooming habits: flossing every night, hair combed, color coordinating clothing (gotta impress the ladies!), keep nails trimmed and clean, shaved neck beard and cologne.
10. Spanish. English. Be bilingual in both languages. Proficiency to take AP classes in High school and to continue to grow with their knowledge as they get older. Perhaps even study abroad?
11. TESTIMONY. Not much needs to be said there. May it be their own! Having experiences to share their beliefs with others (prior to their missions), and learning to how to pray.
This is what I want for "our boys." You have a lot of responsibility on your shoulders as their mama. I am sure the time will go by quickly and I want you to feel proud of them and secure in their future. They are God's children and what a privilege it is to raise them here on earth. Just remember the bigger picture and work on it!
3 comments:
Oh, I love this letter! It is a lot of responsibility, but so worth it! You are such a great momma and it looks like your boys are all well on their way to learning all of these skills, talents, etc.!
I feel so overwhelmed! We have a huge responsibility in raising these young boys--training them to grow up to be responsible, honorable, spiritual and self sufficient young men! You inspire me daily!
WOW that was an awesome letter! I learn so much from you and so many things that i need to be doing!!
It brought me to tears about the testamony part! I so need to be better in that department and get over my fears! Like Lesli said you do inspire me too!! XXOO
Post a Comment