Tuesday, July 6, 2010

English vs. Spanish

Jared and I have come to a fork in the road.

Do we continue speaking Spanish to our boys, or do we start introducing more English?

It hurts my ears to hear such terrible Spanish, especially when I know that my boys can speak better. We want them to speak Spanish so that they can talk to their abuela in Argentina, or tia Olga in Mexico. We want them to be bi-lingual to help out other students in school, or to obtain a great job b/c of their language abilities.

With boys in school now, they are using English in all areas; playing with friends, church, playing video games, talking to neighbors and family.

Here is my proof:

"Muchos ants me hizo bite a yo," (Austin: A lot of ants bit me).

"Yo quiero el movie del rabbit, el unico one." (Austin: I want the only rabbit movie).

"El seed hizo grow." (Wesley: The seed grew).

"Yo hice break in half y no quiero esto." (Austin: I broke it in half and I don't want this).

"Yo hice loose a un pound." (Wesley: I lost a pound. He is obsessed with growing bigger, eating more than anyone else, being the tallest and strongest. He is now at 53lbs).

Do we give up speaking Spanish after 6.5 years? Each day brings a new challenge of encouraging vocabulary, conjugations and correcting them. Will we continue doing this or just give up???

6 comments:

The Molina's said...

Not that either of you have ever taken my advice but...as long as you keep talking to them in Spanish they will get it eventually - right now they are just trying to learn two languages and figure it all out. All the research shows that at this age that's what kids do - even if they were only learning one language they would say things wrong especially past tense.

Boley Boys said...

Spanish! Spanish! Spanish! You have all worked too hard to stop now. And besides, how will my boys continue to learn spanish if not for the Wilsons? Spanish! Spanish! Spanish!

Beth said...

There was an article in the Desert News about a family that is like tri-lingual. One of the sons speaks 5 languages, I think. I will try to look up the link for you. I think it will give you encouragement! What you are doing is great!

Beth said...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700039709/Family-big-on-talk-2-in-3-languages.html

There's the link!! Found it!

Allison said...

Wow! How hard...I was amazed at you guys and how long you've worked at this. I think, if you can, stick it out and they'll get it. But who am I to talk? I hate the Spanglish my students speak but I'm too lazy to teach my own kids Spanish. I did teach Sammy the days of the week and started with the numbers today! Good suerte. ;)

Michelle said...

I think you would regret it if you stopped....those sentences you typed out were actually really funny. They are such cute boys.