Monday, June 6, 2011

The Birds and the Bees




I knew "the talk" would be coming soon....it was only a matter of time.

My boys have been asking for months how Levi would come out, how did he get there, do I "poop" the baby out, and how did dad help get him there...

Just YESTERDAY, Austin was talking about gumballs and licorice, and within the same sentence he said, "What happens to the skin when it gets cut off your peepee?" (circumcision). So small, yet so inquisitive. So funny that it was in the same train of thought as sugar and candy!

I have VERY curious boys. Wesley, the oldest, happens to have a memory like an elephant. He remembers things from when he was 2 (5 years ago!), with detail. For example, he remembers that he once saw me naked....ugh....this is only the beginning of "the talk" I had with my boys.

We headed to the library today and I picked up a few chapter books for the boys, as well as a book that could explain the sex talk in simple terms. The book title: It's NOT the stork!

We got home, had lunch, and I gathered my sweet 5 and 7 year old with me on the floor to "talk." I was not sure how I wanted to start it out, but I knew I didn't want to make them feel uncomfortable or let them know that I was feeling a bit embarrassed by some of the vocabulary.

The first picture (all cartoons) was of a naked boy and girl, and how we are similar in many ways; ankles, elbows, hair, nipples (they giggled at that one), and then the big V word came out... as well as the P word. Austin pronounces it, "pagina" whereas Wesley followed right along with me with reading all the pages said.

I let them know that at anytime we could stop if they didn't want to know more, and that all we were talking about was very special and sacred. I told them that they should NOT talk about these things with their friends, only mom or dad (or Grandpa/Grandma). They asked why not, and I told them that a lot of their friends hadn't talked to their parents about these body parts or special things and that we didn't want them to make their friends feel silly or weird.

It can only imagine if they had a little sister, some of these questions would've been answered already about her body.

I was really happy to follow along with the pages in the book (ideally, I could've read it beforehand, but I just dove right into it and we discovered it together). I really wanted Jared to be by my side for these "private part" discussions, but I just felt like as a mother, I needed to also step up and approach the subject with courage and confidence!

Questions asked by my boys:

"Why are there two eggs on the sides of the girl part and a line in the middle." Answer: "No son, that is skin."

"How did the boys zap into the girls?" Answer: They had to touch parts.

"So you and dad touch parts?" Answer: Yes.

"Do you and dad have sex a lot?" Answer: No. (What else would I say???)

"What happens if kids have sex and have a baby?" Answer: Kids can't.
"But what if???" Answer: Then they will be very sad and it will be hard to have a baby b/c you
are still growing.

"Are our eggs really blue?" (based off of the cartoon picture). Answer: ask your dad.

"Why do we have nipples?" Answer: ask your dad (I have no idea why men have nipples!)

So, overall, I am pleased with how our first initial conversation went. I called up Jared on the phone and had the boys tell them they knew what a "V" was, and it caught him off guard...that was really funny. I also told Jared that he was on duty tonight for more questions that the boys might have.


As I type this, Wesley is re-reading the book and is concentrating very hard.

Maybe I will have a little OB-GYN as a son?

4 comments:

Boley Boys said...

You handled it very well, momma. When they start to ask questions, it's important for them to know they can come to you and have open conversations. Well done.

Heather said...

You go girl! We've had a few talks with our 5 and 7 yr old this year. I do think it is easier that one is a girl, so they already know there are differences. I used Dan's anatomy book from college to show pictures and explanation. Worked well. Good luck on your summer, your #4, and your staying at home!! You must be very good at rolling with the punches.

Adrianne said...

Totally cracking up over here! Mario read it and said he'll kill Gabe if he asks questions like that. I guess that puts it back on me??

Michelle said...

I am dying at this post! I saw on FB that you had the "talk" with them....but these questions they asked are so freaking funny! And your answers! Why do men have nipples! hahahhaah! you're awesome.